PDA

View Full Version : clownfish fry stays on the glass?

Clowntown
09/11/2015, 06:10 PM
had some clownfish eggs hatch 2 days ago and I notice they all stay on the glass, not on any particular side or bottom just randomly on the glass and sometimes along the sealant. Is this normal or is there a parameter in my tank that might be off? They'll swim out occasionally for a bit and go right back to the glass. I have all sides blacked out. Even my few week olds do it.

shifty51008
09/12/2015, 04:33 PM
My fry are all over the tank, it could just be thats where most of the rotifers are at. Maybe mix up your bubblers a little? But if they are doing fine i wouldnt worry about it

president89
10/30/2015, 06:23 PM
Are you adding greenwater?

president89
11/09/2015, 06:09 PM
Sounds like not enough light or not enough greenwater.

pilot.darren
11/20/2015, 08:31 AM
agree with the not enough greenwater

ThRoewer
11/20/2015, 06:32 PM
My fry are all over the tank, it could just be thats where most of the rotifers are at. Maybe mix up your bubblers a little? But if they are doing fine i wouldnt worry about it

What kind of flow do you have in your tank?
When I used standard tanks I had the same issue that many larva stayed on the glass and especially the edges.
When I switched to octagonal tanks and cranked up the flow they were behaving more naturally and also ate better. Clownfish larva are actually pretty good swimmers and can handle some flow. I actually found that they actively go to the highest flow areas.
One time when the inflow line (6mm airline tubing) from the parents tank got under the water surface of the larva tank several hundred clarkii larva swam into it and up quite a bit where they caused a blockage and died.

In higher flow they are also less picky with the food and just snap everything that comes along. That way I was able to get them onto frozen copepods after only 5 days. That should also work with the right dry food.

shifty51008
11/20/2015, 10:01 PM
I have 2 bubble wands in the fry tanks, one under the heater in the back and the other on the front glass that is also used to keep air going over the eggs when i put the tile in. The bubble wands are about 10" or so, so they go about 3/4 the length of the 10 gal fry tank. I have them turned up fairly decent also. So i guess with the front and back wall covered with the wands thats prob why they cant stay on the walls.

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 01:15 AM
I never liked air bubblers but rather used 600l/h powerhead pumps to set the tank water into rotation.
Next time I will try an elongated Planktonkreisel design.