PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon to 55 gallon

Cj8
09/12/2015, 08:22 AM
Hi guys
So right now i have a 90 gallon fowlr and i put a good amount of money in to it and I'm going to have to put more into it. My buddy has a 55 gallon tank and i was wondering if you think its worth it to get rid of the 90 and to put every into the 55 gallon to save some money.

Shawn O
09/12/2015, 08:41 AM
Depends on what you consider "worth it". Before you try it, go over to your buddie's house and work in his tank a little. Scrape the glass, stack some rocks in it, spend some time looking through it from the ends. Is it tempered (can it be drilled?)? Does the sight of HOB equipment in the tank bother you? Things to consider before changing anything. It shouldn't cost very much more money to heat and make the extra 35 gallons you have right now.

kmbyrnes
09/13/2015, 06:10 AM
You are moving in the wrong direction. You are supposed to keep getting bigger tanks, not downsizing :lol:

greaps
09/13/2015, 06:52 AM
If going reef, a 75g, is a better direction in my opinion if your downsizing.

thegrun
09/13/2015, 07:51 AM
If you already have the equipment for the 90 gallon tank, I don't see where downsizing to a 55 gallon tank will save you much money, maybe 5 gallons of saltwater a week in water savings, outside of that I just don't see where any appreciable savings are going to come from. If a couple of dollars a week is that critical to you I suspect you are in the wrong hobby.