PDA

View Full Version : Advice on treatment of Blue Hippo Tang

MillerReef
09/13/2015, 10:43 AM
I have a Blue Hippo Tang in my QT tank that started showing signs of disease shortly after arriving. One morning I saw several black spots and swelling on its side and also a very small brownish worm like object on its side near the tail. I started treating with Cupramine .5ppm and did a fresh water dip for 8 min on the first 2 days. It has been about a week and all of the black spots are gone and that area looks completely healed. However, the tang if still rubbing up against stuff in the QT. The single brown "worm" is still there as well - very small, maybe less than 1 mm. I tried to get a picture but it was not detailed enough to be useful.

Any thoughts on the ID of the brown "worm"? Also any advice on how long and at what concentration to continue the cupramine? Any advice on additional procedures? Parameters are good. I have the temp at about 80.

MitchSutherland
09/13/2015, 08:05 PM
Well the brown worm is not a parasite. Its probably an internal worm of some sort. Cupramine wont work on the worm. It will work on the Marine Ich. And the black dots are termed Black ich. Not the same kind of the typically Ich. Prazi Pro is something that can remove the black ich, and could potential help with the worm as well. I personally do not like treating with cupramine. I would perfer the Tank transfer method to get rid of ICH.

MRJ
09/13/2015, 09:43 PM
You can use pazi pro with cupramine. In the future don't do fresh water dips more harm than good. Make sure to put in algae clips and try to figure out what he will eat best. I would drop thr temp to 77 less stress on the fish and more oxygen. You want to at this point avoid over stressing the fish.

MillerReef
09/14/2015, 12:09 AM
Thank you very much for the replies. Have you used PraziPro with Cupramine? SeaChem is pretty adamant about not mixing anything with Cupramine so it makes me nervous. Are these types of worms typically deadly or could I finish up the Cupramine and then treat with the PraziPro? Also, I think that Cupramine is labeled for Black Ich - do you have any good or bad experience treating Black Ich with Cupramine or any other Copper? Just trying to learn so I can handle this right.