PDA

View Full Version : light acclimation going wrong?

cvx16
09/13/2015, 01:33 PM
Hey All - Still pretty new to reef keeping here and could use some advice. I have a 60g setup I bought used. The lighting it came with was some T5's and a generic LED.

I bought a Hydra 26 and set that up a few days ago. I set it to the coral acclimation setting at 50%. But yesterday I noticed a white cob webby looking thing on this coral. Not sure if it was coming off or what?

Today it's looking more closed up, like in the second picture. I've turned the lights down even more to see if that will help.

Does this look like what could happen if the new light was too strong?

m3t411ic4
09/14/2015, 09:57 PM
Looks like a leather coral "shedding" which is fairly common. They typically do this when they're stressed or unhappy about something. I'd make sure it's getting enough flow to clear that out. It possible the change in lighting could have stressed it out so I'd keep the lighting lower for awhile and gradually increase it.

garygonzales
09/15/2015, 06:48 PM
yep +1 on this

Milez803
09/17/2015, 11:00 PM
Coral might just be stressed from new light system. Similar situation happen to my Pink Lemonade two days ago from moving the mini colony higher in the rock, but after 2 days. back to normal and awesome poly extension.