PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis and Kent tech m not sure how to use

Grkgod36
09/13/2015, 11:55 PM
I have 3 very small patches of bryopsis growing . And I want to get it before it gets out of hand .. I know Kent tech m works ... But I'm not sure how to go about it.

Do I raise it slowly through out a week up to 1200 -1400?

How long do leave it elevated?

After its gone do I let it go down by its self and normal water changes?

Will it hurt my inverts coral or fish ? And is running carbon recomended after wards?

thegrun
09/14/2015, 07:52 AM
You will most likely need to raise the magnesium levels to at least 1900ppm to kill the bryopsis, 1200 -1400ppm are the normal magnesium levels. Try to limit the increases to 100ppm per day. Once you reach 1900 hold the magnesium at that level until the bryopsis dies off, then just let the level come down on its own. Elevated magnesium levels should only effect the bryopsis and perhaps some of your other macro algae if you have any. It is a good idea to run carbon throughout the process if you are not already running it 24/7. It takes a lot of the Tech M to raise your magnesium levels sine magnesium supplements can only hold a relatively small amount of magnesium in suspension.

Grkgod36
09/14/2015, 02:19 PM
How much will I need for a 90 gallon tank and 40 gal sump ?

Grkgod36
09/23/2015, 06:41 PM
i just received a gallon of kent tech m, i have some questions before i start dosing,

do you include the sump water volume when you dose 1 ML per gallon ? or just the display tank ?

and i just checked my mag levels last night they are at 1500... so do you know how much 90 mls will raise mag up by?in 90 gallon system?

davocean
09/23/2015, 08:32 PM
I would dose for total tank volume.
NSW is about 1350, and I usually had luck just bumping to 1700-1800 from about the level of NSW, you may need to bump slightly higher as Thegrun mentioned since you are already higher than NSW
I think you need a certain amount of the Tech M more than you need the elevated level.
Like anything raise it slowly.

FullBoreReefer
09/23/2015, 08:50 PM
I raised mine to 2000, 100 per day, then let it sit there for 2wks, then I let it drop naturally and via my normal water changes. Before you do this manually remove as much as you can.

Grkgod36
09/23/2015, 08:54 PM
Roger that thanks

DivingTheWorld
09/25/2015, 12:00 PM
I'm planning to try this treatment for Bryopsis as well. I tried Dino-X and that stuff is BAD NEWS, lost a few SPS because of it. My snails and cuc won't touch the stuff and even a Sea Hare I bought doesn't seem to be doing much.

I have a very similar sized tank (89g total water volume). By my calculations, it would take 486ml per day to raise Mag by 100ppm. I currently run at around 1450ppm with BRS Mag. Does that calculation sound correct?

Another question I have is on maintaining it at the elevated levels. I only need to add Mag to my system every month or two to maintain my current levels. Is anything special needed to maintain these elevated levels? Once I reach my target (ex. 1700-1900ppm), will I need to continue to dose a smaller amount each day or once a week? Do you guys test daily when dosing Kent Tech M?

thegrun
09/25/2015, 01:07 PM
Only testing will tell if you need to continue to add magnesium to maintain a certain level. I needed to dose around 30ppm a week to maintain plus what was needed to increase the magnesium level in my water change saltwater.

Grkgod36
09/25/2015, 01:14 PM
You will most likely need to raise the magnesium levels to at least 1900ppm to kill the bryopsis, 1200 -1400ppm are the normal magnesium levels. Try to limit the increases to 100ppm per day. Once you reach 1900 hold the magnesium at that level until the bryopsis dies off, then just let the level come down on its own. Elevated magnesium levels should only effect the bryopsis and perhaps some of your other macro algae if you have any. It is a good idea to run carbon throughout the process if you are not already running it 24/7. It takes a lot of the Tech M to raise your magnesium levels sine magnesium supplements can only hold a relatively small amount of magnesium in suspension.

I was going to wait after treatment to run carbon ,I usually don't run it cause of fear of hhle for tangs. Should I just run it now ?

And do you recommend running purigen at all?

I dosed 110ml( total tank volume ) thaw last two days it went from 1500 750 so far .

Art13
09/25/2015, 01:16 PM
I don't think its the level of mag, but whatever else is in the tech m that does it, i have a 90g, if i had to guess roughly 80 actual gallons of water. I dosed 350ml in 4 doses about a half hour apart from each other for 3 days, raised it about 100ppm per day, started noticing the die off, did about 50ml for another 3-4 days, there were some stubborn pieces left, so i did 350ml for 2 more days and then two more 50ml a day after that and it was gone. i only went with just a few days raising mag by 100ppm as it was already sitting at 1600ppm, if your's is lower, i would try and raise it for 5-6 days straight and then let it sit for a while after that, maybe a smaller dose per day. my mag was more than likely at 2000-2100ppm by the time i was done dosing. I say i think it's something else in the tech m as i've seen people raise it slower with no results and people who do the 100ppm per day and have positive results from it.

Art13
09/25/2015, 01:19 PM
i also took my carbon offline while dosing and ran it after i was done. i wouldn't run anything that can possibly pull anything out of the water besides gfo while you are dosing it, just my opinion.

DivingTheWorld
09/25/2015, 01:43 PM
i also took my carbon offline while dosing and ran it after i was done. i wouldn't run anything that can possibly pull anything out of the water besides gfo while you are dosing it, just my opinion.

This one I'm a little curious about. Some people say remove Carbon and others say to make sure you run it. I've found one or two reports about stressed corals when using Tech M and I wonder if it's from people not running Carbon. If Tech M is indeed killing the Bryopsis, would it stand to reason that the death would be dirtying up the water? A couple people have also recommended increased water changes, dosing up your replacement water with the same level Mag using Tech M. That would also remove some of the bad water caused by the dying Bryopsis.

DivingTheWorld
09/25/2015, 01:52 PM
I don't think its the level of mag, but whatever else is in the tech m that does it, i have a 90g, if i had to guess roughly 80 actual gallons of water. I dosed 350ml in 4 doses about a half hour apart from each other for 3 days, raised it about 100ppm per day, started noticing the die off, did about 50ml for another 3-4 days, there were some stubborn pieces left, so i did 350ml for 2 more days and then two more 50ml a day after that and it was gone. i only went with just a few days raising mag by 100ppm as it was already sitting at 1600ppm, if your's is lower, i would try and raise it for 5-6 days straight and then let it sit for a while after that, maybe a smaller dose per day. my mag was more than likely at 2000-2100ppm by the time i was done dosing. I say i think it's something else in the tech m as i've seen people raise it slower with no results and people who do the 100ppm per day and have positive results from it.

According to the instructions, it states: Add 1 ml per gallon each day to raise the level by 18.3ppm per day. So assuming you were dosing 350ml per day into 80g, you should have been raising about 80ppm per day. If in reality you were raising 100ppm per day, maybe their calculations are off and I need to reduce my daily dosage? Were you testing each day to confirm your results?

Grkgod36
09/25/2015, 03:15 PM

art , good info , so you split up 350 mls into 4 doses half hr apart , every day and that equates to 100ppm roughly daily is that correct ?

cuase if the case me dosing 1 ml per gallon is way to low.

DivingTheWorld
09/26/2015, 09:55 AM
Ok, I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. I was just looking at my Red Sea Pro and Salifert test kits and they only go up to 1600 and 1500. How are you guys measuring up to 2000??

Never mind, found my answer. You just use a second syringe and calculate the additional.

Art13
09/29/2015, 06:25 AM
My dosage raised it roughly 80-100ppm a day, the test kit is a rough at best since it jumps by 40ppm, my water volume is an estimate of what my tank holds, i didn't want to overshoot though in case the actual volume was less. For red sea you dump the entire syringe into the bottle while doing the test, load it up again, and add 40ppm for each .2ml that you add after the first syringe. I only tested on my first day to confirm the amount raised, which read roughly a little higher than 80ppm. Again, hard to be exact with that kit though. I took carbon offline simply because i feel it's not the mag that kills the bryopsis, it's something else that builds up a concentration when you do high doses of the tech m, and i didn't want it getting removed from the water. I left my GFO online. After 10-12 days, not sure the exact day, i did a 20% water change and put carbon back onto the system. Back to normal water changes now. During the dosing, it ****ed off any softies i had and the duncan, other than that everything was fine, i lost a feather duster, thats it. My system is heavy on sps, none were affected. Neither was the large favia i have.