PDA

View Full Version : Fishnet stockings

Fishmommy
09/14/2015, 05:25 AM
I have tried pantyhose on my powerheads to protect my nems but it really cuts flow. Has anyone tried fishnet stockings instead and do they work? They would certainly allow more flow.

ginpang
09/14/2015, 09:01 AM
Overtime I've only had one anemone get stuck in water intake for the filter and I believe that news that travel are usually unwell or not satisfied with their living quarters.... Because the others I've kept picked a spot and stayed there.
I've tried stockings though for water intake in baby rearing tanks ( freshwater ) and like you've experienced it get really clogged really fast.

I had better success with a square or rectangle sponge in which I Made a slot and jammed it over the intake tube.
Perhaps a bigger sponge may work around a powerhaead!?

D-Nak
09/14/2015, 11:07 AM
The only physical means of protecting a nem from a powerhead is some sort of cage that prevents the nem from getting too close to the powerhead. Even using pantyhose won't prevent a nem from getting killed, as the force of the powerhead sucking the nem into it is enough to injure it.

Fishmommy
09/14/2015, 11:08 AM
Good to know [emoji3]

g_langley
09/15/2015, 04:43 AM
Is the foam cover for the Vortech MP10 sufficient enough to avoid these types of problems with BTA's? I was thinking of going down the panty hose route but don't want reduced flow.

ginpang
09/15/2015, 01:21 PM
Like I stated above never tried it for anemones ( have to write the full name autocorrect always changes nems to nemesis or news lol) but only for larvea and itty bitty fish and works great.
It'll reduce flow but not as much as the stockings.... If your lfs still sells the old Aqua clear sponges the 300 or the 500 should be big enough for your power head.