PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this plant before is too late.

gark666
09/14/2015, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone, so where to start, my 38 gallon tank has been set up for about a year, all parameters are fine except a large spike in nitrates due to various turbo snails dying after a very hot few days of summer, I did a large water change but nitrates continue to show, anyway during this last month of me battling nitrates this green leave like plant started to appear on one live rock, at first it was just one but now it started to spread like wild fire on the same rock, I would had gotten rid of it if it wasn't for the fact that the same rock the were they appear is the same rock where two of my anemones live, I do not like to disturb my anemones in any way bit if this thing are some kind of invasive macroalge or something then I will take measures to get rid of it, so please if someone can tell me what it is, I will appreciate.

saltydog1
09/14/2015, 09:04 AM
Looks like Halimeda to me...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+656&pcatid=656

dendrite
09/14/2015, 09:22 AM
Halimeda, usually not very invasive, and usually tough to grow. My tangs leave it alone, and its been limited to one rock. looks nice. Maybe move the rock along with the anemones to your sump, or just scrape it off the rock if you don't want it in the display.

carmelpi
09/15/2015, 12:01 AM
Halimeda is a good sign of a healthy tank. I know from experience that it will not grow in a dirty tank. You'll want to either keep up your water changes or dose calcium to keep it growing. :)