PDA

View Full Version : ID please

BarryV
09/14/2015, 09:53 AM
Hi All,
Is the image below Dendrophyllia Coral or Sun Coral?
Thanks,
Barry

Hope_L
09/14/2015, 04:45 PM
Have you got a picture of it with the tentacles extended? That's probably going to be helpful in the ID because all closed up they look very similar. I do know my dendro does not have tissue that is connected like that. I'm no pro on this but if you have a pic of it open I'm sure it would be easier to tell for sure.

BarryV
09/14/2015, 05:34 PM
Have you got a picture of it with the tentacles extended? That's probably going to be helpful in the ID because all closed up they look very similar. I do know my dendro does not have tissue that is connected like that. I'm no pro on this but if you have a pic of it open I'm sure it would be easier to tell for sure.

Hope L thanks for looking. I have only had this sun coral for one day.
It did open about half way this afternoon. After doing a little research I believe it is a pink sun coral. From what I found out sun corals come
in Black, Yellow,Pink and Orange. Below is the photo from this afternoon.
Barry

Hope_L
09/14/2015, 07:57 PM
I think it is a sun coral but again I'm far from a pro. Here is a good resource for info on sun corals
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/corals
Also I gave a pretty detailed description on my thread about my tank on how I feed mine (I think mine is a dendro though) and how I got it to open. Because mine isn't on the sand bed the coke bottle method really doesn't work for me and I don't like the idea of the Tupperware method because I feel like constantly moving it and touching it is traumatic. Someone in another thread compared it to slitting your wrists waiting for them to heal and then slitting them again... Dramatic I know but it made me think lol. In situations where one is extremely unhealthy and not showing a response to other methods I can understand it as a last ditch effort but other than that I personally wouldn't go about it that way. I wish they were more readily available in my area as I absolutely love them. Good luck!!

Hope_L
09/14/2015, 08:07 PM
Hey Barry sorry I hadn't looked at your other posts before writing my previous post. Clearly you know how to handle sun corals probably better than I do!!!! Your tank is beautiful!!!

whitrose02
09/18/2015, 11:49 PM
They look like dendros to me...

noy
09/20/2015, 08:08 AM
tubastraea coccinea - sun coral.

definitely not a dendro (i.e. something in the dendrophyllia genus).