PDA

View Full Version : Phyto Rotiers and brine question

codyreed29
09/14/2015, 03:56 PM
Can I feed python culture an organic feed instead of miracle grow.

Will rotifers eat reef chili or dehydrated pythoplankton?

I get my rotifers and culture today and have everything setup.

Problem is what to feed rotifers.

codyreed29
09/14/2015, 03:57 PM
Sorry rehydrate damn autocorrect

gogo7
09/14/2015, 04:26 PM
rotifers love phytoplankton. they will also eat yeast. they become less nutritious when fed yeast, but it's a good back up food to maintain cultures on.
you can make your own by simply adding bakers yeast to some fsw a add a drop or two to your culture.
the trouble with feeding yeast and 'dead' food is the need to be diligent with water changes.
i've never used reef chilli, but i think it's not a good idea. you can use dried phtyo for sure.
not sure what python culture is but i figure it's a liquid fert that you wanna grow phyto with? you'll have to research the ingredients.
you can use fw plant ferts to grow phyto in a pinch as well. i haven't had much sustainable luck with miracle grow. your best bet for successful phyto culture is to get some micro algae ferts, f2 formula.
hope this helps.

codyreed29
09/14/2015, 05:50 PM
I bought some medina's seaweed extracts and micronutrient plant food.

I used half medina's and half miracle gro

I also put ones with just miracle grow for my phyto culture to feed the rotifers.

putting three different cultures just in case anything goes wrong with one of them.

the first very small batch is with rotis and medinas and a bit of rehydrated pythoplankton.

the second Is just with rotifers and a bit of miracle gro

the third is biggest with a half bag of live python plankton.

gogo7
09/14/2015, 10:19 PM
ok cody... i'm getting it now.
you're fertilizing your phyto with miraclegro. i don't use it. how much are you feeding and to how much? usually phyto fertilizer (f2) is dosed at one drop per 100 mils of fresh saltwater. from what i understand, f/2 formula is a diluted recipe, cut in half. so i'd cut the miraclegro fertilizer 50% with water, then fertilize at the same rate, one drop per 100mils.
the medinas i just checked out online and it could be a useful fert. i'm not sure though. use it carefully.
i wouldn't feed the rotis miraclegro, unless it's in the phyto you're giving them.
is the rehydrated phyto in solution or is it in powdered form?
what species of rotifers and phyto are you working with?

D-Nak
09/28/2015, 10:57 PM
Since you're just starting out, go easy and get some RGComplete. It's A LOT easier than growing your own phyto. You're going to want to enrich it anyway, so avoid the headache and get the balanced blend -- RGCompleate also includes an ammonia neutralizer and pH buffer. It is expensive though.

codyreed29
09/30/2015, 05:33 PM
Ok my first batch failed as I didn't have anything to feed them but had one fish last three days without rotifers or anything.

My second batch is probably going to hatch tomorrow night a few have silver eyes.

I have had a pytho culture going for 2 weeks now.

just got my rotifers from Reed mariculture today and have everything ready to go.

I have a new question? I have been doing some research a lot. After about 30 hours the brine go into the second stage there first molt. I was also reading that they need DHA to get what the need.

I am feeding the rotifers just live phyto culture.

I was thinking about running a piece of salmon thru the blender for a long while to liquefy it.

Salmon has a lot of dha and will really help the fish get thru meta. Im thinking of blending a 1/8 of a pound with ro water and just blend the crap out of it. I have a new badass blender I just bought. Then I plan to gut load them in the liquefied salmon for about 6 hours.

Then drain out the brine and feed them hopefully they will start to eat just salmon around day 10-14 right before meta. At this point I will be having to do 10 percent changes twice daily.

D-Nak
09/30/2015, 06:38 PM
Ok my first batch failed as I didn't have anything to feed them but had one fish last three days without rotifers or anything.

My second batch is probably going to hatch tomorrow night a few have silver eyes.

I have had a pytho culture going for 2 weeks now.

just got my rotifers from Reed mariculture today and have everything ready to go.

I have a new question? I have been doing some research a lot. After about 30 hours the brine go into the second stage there first molt. I was also reading that they need DHA to get what the need.

I am feeding the rotifers just live phyto culture.

I was thinking about running a piece of salmon thru the blender for a long while to liquefy it.

Salmon has a lot of dha and will really help the fish get thru meta. Im thinking of blending a 1/8 of a pound with ro water and just blend the crap out of it. I have a new badass blender I just bought. Then I plan to gut load them in the liquefied salmon for about 6 hours.

Then drain out the brine and feed them hopefully they will start to eat just salmon around day 10-14 right before meta. At this point I will be having to do 10 percent changes twice daily.

The newly hatched larvae can survive a couple of days via their egg sac so they don't need to be fed for a day or so after hatching.

Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, as I mentioned before, since this is your first go just keep it simple and feed your rotifers RGComplete. It contains DHA, EPA and ARA.

You don't need to waste your time, money, and energy on the whole salmon blending thing. You can also skip baby brine altogether as many other breeders do. After meta they can be fed pellets. For example, you can start by dusting the surface of the fry tank with TDO size A to get them used to the smell, then begin feeding size B1 overlapping with the rotifers.