PDA

View Full Version : Dead or molt?

juhason
09/14/2015, 06:16 PM
I found my emerald crab like this last night. This morning he was still the same, and now after work he still hasn't moved. Here's what he looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/CdcQFaDm.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/MpfkzHrm.jpg

Water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0
I have snails and hermit crabs that were introduced at the same time as him. All are still alive.

brewman1987
09/14/2015, 06:42 PM
best way is just pull it out, pull apart the top and see if it's empty. My crab just molted and the molt looked just like the crab , but was empty.

Bent
09/14/2015, 07:49 PM
best way is just pull it out, pull apart the top and see if it's empty. My crab just molted and the molt looked just like the crab , but was empty.

Same thing happened to me the other day. Saw the body of the stone crab juvi that hangs out in the sump, thought oh man that sucks, then threw it out.

I was later that evening re-arranging some rocks and he crawled up my arm and scared the bejesus out of me. Might I mention he seemed MUCH bigger?

juhason
09/14/2015, 08:52 PM

Same thing happened to me the other day. Saw the body of the stone crab juvi that hangs out in the sump, thought oh man that sucks, then threw it out.

I was later that evening re-arranging some rocks and he crawled up my arm and scared the bejesus out of me. Might I mention he seemed MUCH bigger?

So I pulled it out and I think he was dead :hmm2:
It smelled pretty bad and felt full. I didn't see anywhere where he could've gotten out of his shell it seemed fully in tact. I guess I'll find out for sure if I don't see him in a couple days.

Bent
09/14/2015, 08:59 PM
It smelled pretty bad and felt full. I didn't see anywhere where he could've gotten out of his shell it seemed fully in tact. I guess I'll find out for sure if I don't see him in a couple days.

Were there guts and stuff in it?

Breadman03
09/14/2015, 09:41 PM

If it smelled bad, not low tide bad, but actually bad, it's toast.

juhason
09/14/2015, 10:45 PM
Were there guts and stuff in it?
I didn't check... should I have?
If it smelled bad, not low tide bad, but actually bad, it's toast.
What's low tide bad? lol

brewman1987
09/15/2015, 06:04 AM
If you have ever been around the ocean at low tide you would know what he means lol. It kinda smells like a dump and a bad day in the bathroom lol.

Breadman03
09/15/2015, 06:58 AM
I didn't check... should I have?

What's low tide bad? lol

Low tide bad is when you note that some stuff doesn't quite smell right, and take minor offense. Bad can have you questioning whether you will get to taste lunch again.

juhason
09/15/2015, 07:43 AM
If you have ever been around the ocean at low tide you would know what he means lol. It kinda smells like a dump and a bad day in the bathroom lol.

Low tide bad is when you note that some stuff doesn't quite smell right, and take minor offense. Bad can have you questioning whether you will get to taste lunch again.

Oh, well I guess the smell was not that awful :lol:
But still I could not find anywhere where the crab could have gotten out of his shell. I was trying to pry it open like the first person suggested and couldn't so I just gave up and flushed him down. Regardless if it was the shell or not there was definitely nothing living about it. Well hopefully he turns up! He was my favorite. Also everything else in the tank is thriving (corals and other inverts)

Bent
09/15/2015, 07:57 AM
I bet he's fine. Hiding till his new shell hardens.

theMatrix
09/15/2015, 08:00 AM
Get some bigger shells. My crabs havent killed any snails but 2 have molted. I thought i lost some.

It looked like a pale crab minus the shell

ca1ore
09/15/2015, 08:19 AM
Looks 'meaty' to me. I'd vote el morto