PDA

View Full Version : Pest on Hammer Coral?

gayfish
09/16/2015, 11:21 AM
I was cleaning up after yet another brown algae bloom while I was at school and decided to turn my showerhead full black facing my rocks to prevent another one. The tank is a five month old 20 gallon with 6 pounds of live rock and 13 pounds of bass rock that has been in the tank about a month and a half along with ten pounds of live sand and daily does of stability (bacteria) and liquid reef. I have a kenya tree, two mushrooms, a dying favia I'm trying to nurse back to health, an un named sps I got as a gift along with the favia, some palys and so as that haven't been opening well due to some big changes in tank and a small one head hammer. The animals are seven hermit crabs (dwarfs) two margaritas snails and three zebra turbo snails along with my buddy redrum, a massive coral banded shrimp. Due to me stupidly pouring a bazillion live brine shrimp in the tank about a month ago the nitrates have been sky high resulting in huge 25 to 50 percent water changes every one to two days along with said algae bloom. Due to frequent water changes I have not lost anything but a pipe organ coral already on its ways out due to a bad fragging and the favia coral which had massive tissue loss. Anyways, the hammer coral.
I was moving it around so the powerhead wouldn't blast it and notices what I had thought weeks ago was the start of a branch split. On closer inspection it looked like two little orange snails. Freaked out I got some tweezers and scraped them off. They didn't come off easy and I scraped off a little tissue by accident. Not a lot, barely noticeable. But what were these 'snails' and did I do the right thing getting them off. The hammer has been irritated lately. Could this have been the cause?

homer1475
09/20/2015, 07:41 PM
Without pictures its real tough to say. Orange "snails" to you might be something totally different to the experienced eye.

PfenWendt
09/20/2015, 11:13 PM
I agree with the above post, hard to give any accurate input without pictures..

Dkuhlmann
09/21/2015, 08:52 AM
So you're putting corals in a tank that has not been properly cycled I take it. Why do you put daily doses of Stability in? Should be no need for that. What are the water parameters of your tank and what do you have for lighting. Sure and add a picture.