PDA

View Full Version : HOB returns

sde1500
09/16/2015, 01:59 PM
So I am in the planning stages for a new build. Bought a used 65 gallon tank and stand, no holes drilled. Having never drilled a tank before, and not knowing if it is tempered or not, I'd rather play it safe and use a HOB overflow, most likely EShopps. That being said, I don't see much info, or can't get the right search combo to find it, on how to plumb returns for the tank. How have you guys seen it done, or done it yourself. Any pictures or tips would be awesome!

soulpatch
09/16/2015, 02:04 PM
if undrilled people just create an inverted u in the pipe of the return so that it hangs on the back edge of the aquarium. Much like any canister filter you would get.

Ron Reefman
09/17/2015, 05:50 AM
HOB siphon overflows have come a long way in the last 10 years. My tank is drilled, but I used one as an emergency drain so I added a HOB siphon overflow to increase the flow to the sump. I ended up with a used CPR unit and an AquaLifter pump. Actually I have 1 on my 180g reef and 1 on my 75g hex display tank. They both have worked well. You just need to remember to clean whatever filter you use in the drain side box.

sde1500
09/17/2015, 07:08 AM
Yea I've read good things about the Eshopps overflow.
As for the returns, that does make sense, just what, 2 90's connected to make the U to hook over I'd assume? I'll probably have to figure out a way to attach them to the back of the tank as well.

Vinny Kreyling
09/17/2015, 05:05 PM
OR, you can use a sea Swirl on the return.