PDA

View Full Version : Slowly losing all SPS - No skimmate barely mag floating.

Vapour1ze
09/16/2015, 08:03 PM
No idea what is going on. Ever since I did a huge water change. I missed my monthly water change by about 2 months. Did a 40 gallon change on about a 160 system. Ever since then not good. I am getting little to no skimmate. I'm barely mag floating. Sps have no PE and losing color fast! My alk was a little high and when I did the water change that may have dipped back down around 1dkh.

Levels are
Ca 450
Alk 7.8ish
Nitrate undetectable.
Po4 reads 0 on Hannah.
PH 8.3
Salinity 1.026

Bulbs just hit about 5 months old. I have no idea what's going on but every morning I notice more dead areas on my sps. :( about 30 types. All slowly perishing.

Anemones shrooms lps zoos all doing phenomenal. No clue. Perhaps turn off my biopellet reactor? Not enough Nitrate and Phosphate?

stingeragent
09/16/2015, 08:15 PM
Any possibility your water from the W/C was tainted somehow?

Vapour1ze
09/16/2015, 08:21 PM
Any possibility your water from the W/C was tainted somehow?
I can't imagine so no....

ca1ore
09/16/2015, 09:12 PM
I have been wrestling with a similar issue, though in my case my shrooms have died back as well. It's really only been in the last couple of weeks that I have started getting skimmate back. Not really sure what the problem was/is. My suggestion is to run carbon, polyfilter and do more frequent water changes.

happyhourhero
09/16/2015, 10:54 PM
Could be low nutrients or the alk swing. Any pests?

Reef Frog
09/16/2015, 11:25 PM
Just a guess:

Maybe you removed a large amount of dissolved orgsnics all at once that the SPS were dependent on. This could account for the lack of skimmate. If this sounds reasonable, you may consider shutting down the skimmer & GFO/GAC for a short time and feed the corals. Hope you can reverse this.

Dkuhlmann
09/17/2015, 04:53 AM
I agree with Reef Frog, what I believe happened is since you did a very large wc you had big swings in your water parameters and it pretty much shocked everything. Our corals depend on STABLE water parameters and you knocked it out of kilter with the large wc. All you can do now is go back to weekly small wc's 10% and monitor parameters to keep them stable.

Vapour1ze
09/17/2015, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys... I will kill the skimmer for a few days...

Another thing. On the hanna checker (for phosphate) I do the 10ml, add the poweder, shake for 2 min, then set the timer for 3 min. I get 0.00 almost every time. I have some hair algae in the frag tank, but not much. It's due to my lack of CUC in frag tank, I have one 1in by 1in patch in the display. No algae in sand or anything else. Tank is almost a year old. I have 10 fish. I just don't get how my water can be so "clean"...