PDA

View Full Version : Vectra m1 or l1 for 150g tank?

ps2cho
09/17/2015, 11:21 AM
What would be a better choice for a 150g tank with only a few feet of head loss?

What's a good amount of flow for the sump since my math would be either 12x or 18x after headloss?

jmm
09/17/2015, 12:54 PM
I replaced a Mag 18 with an M1. The Mag 18 ran at 100% naturally. I have a 210 gallon with three internal drains and two returns. The M1 raised the tank level (put more in than was draining out) at full power. I dialed it back to where the controller leaves 4 lights unlit. There is still more ripple effect on the surface than I had before. There's no shortage of power on these pumps.

I may get an L1 for my 120 gallon fish only tank because it fits the plumbing better, but I know I'll have to dial it back a lot. I understand that's good for the pump.

Alex Y EcoTech
09/18/2015, 06:00 AM
What would be a better choice for a 150g tank with only a few feet of head loss?

What's a good amount of flow for the sump since my math would be either 12x or 18x after headloss?

The model of Vectra you select should be based on several key factors. Things like, plumbing, head pressure, existing return pump and supplemental powerheads are all very important considerations. With that in mind, the beauty of a DC pump is the ability to dial in your exact flow requirements. Whichever model you select will make a great addition to your aquarium.

mfinn
09/18/2015, 08:05 AM

If you are just using it for a return pump go with the smaller one.

I usually don't go much over 5x to 6x through the sump.