PDA

View Full Version : Growth Expectancy?

MrSkumFrog
09/18/2015, 05:33 PM
I plan on purchasing a maxima and/or a crocea for my SPS dominated MH tank. The real estate in working with is 8" x 10". If I buy a 2-3" Maxima or crocea, approximately how many years would it take to fill that space up?

Stevenliu9
09/18/2015, 07:27 PM
long answer short- many years, even with optimal condition. Most crocea will never reach more than 6-8" in captivity anyways. Since they prefer being on rock than sand, you just need to make sure in a few years the real estate space on your rock hasn't been taken over by other corals already.

Coralreefer1
09/19/2015, 01:36 PM
Clam growth varies based on a number of variables! However, eneither one of those clams will take up the whole space as they don't get that big. They are the smallest of the Tridacna Clam species with Derasa and Squamosa getting much larger and the Gigas attaining feet in size!

shellsea
09/21/2015, 12:07 PM
Clam growth varies based on a number of variables! However, eneither one of those clams will take up the whole space as they don't get that big. They are the smallest of the Tridacna Clam species with Derasa and Squamosa getting much larger and the Gigas attaining feet in size!

so on that note, what is the optimum tank size? I have a ten year old derasa that has grown to 10 to 12 inches long. and takes up quite a bit of real estate in the tank. It is starting to push around some bubble coral colonies and such. OK to keep him as long as I give him space?

MondoBongo
09/22/2015, 08:13 AM
so on that note, what is the optimum tank size? I have a ten year old derasa that has grown to 10 to 12 inches long. and takes up quite a bit of real estate in the tank. It is starting to push around some bubble coral colonies and such. OK to keep him as long as I give him space?

derasas are big boys. :)

what i've found is that as long as they have the water chemistry they need, and are able to open fully and completely, e.g. not hindered by close rocks, and they're getting appropriate flow and light, that's about all they need.

so theoretically you could probably have one in a 10 gallon tank, if it was the only thing in there. ignoring the challenge of keeping the water chemistry stable for them in that small a water volume.

the bubble corals may, or may not bother the clam. hard to say. but if you notice it not extending fully, or anything on the mantel that seems irritated like by sweepers from the bubble, then i would give it some more space. otherwise, as long as its able to open fully, i wouldn't be concerned.