PDA

View Full Version : Xenia and Kenya Tree Death

DerNaschkatze
09/19/2015, 12:27 AM
Hi,

I have a 37 gal tank with strong LEDs and strong water flow. I have many types of soft corals (Zias, shrooms, toadtools, etc), LPS (acan, favia, torch hammer frogspawn) and a few sps (monti caps and digita).

A few weeks ago, my Kenya tree and Xenia collapsed and did poorly. My Xenia went first and eventually disintegrated. My Kenya tree soon followed, going through the same. Before, they both looked great and spread like mad.

All other corals are doing fantastic. The sps is growing nicely and all the LPS are open. Any idea why these two "easy" corals suddenly failed in my tank after several months of beautiful growth?

sixpackgarage
09/19/2015, 12:43 AM
worms? My xenia have been ridiculously resilient to everything, except one time about 6 months ago, the colony looked to be dying. I saw a worm that was boring into the stalks.. too fast to catch. I took the rock the xenia was attached to and dipped it.. killed the worm. Xenia returned to health almost immediately. I'm not sure anything else could kill xenia..they are a weed

Dkuhlmann
09/19/2015, 05:06 AM
Xenia's and Kenya Trees like dirty water. I''m guessing that had traces of nitrates and phosphates when they were doing good and now your water is actually "too clean" to support them.. Try and get your nitrates to around 3 ish.

Webmanny
09/21/2015, 07:04 AM
Agree 100% with Dkuhlmann, if your SPS corals are doing great, it means your water is likely clean, which Kenya and Xenia hate.