PDA

View Full Version : seahorse start up

dromonk
09/19/2015, 08:06 AM
Any good guides to starting 1st seahorse tank good size equipment to use everything been wanting to do just want to do it right have a 14g biocube was thinking not sure if it would be ideal or is bigger better

rayjay
09/19/2015, 09:38 AM
You are certainly doing the right thing in asking before doing.
However, one thread is not enough to get to know all you should know before getting into the hobby.
First off, tank recommendation size is a minimum 29/30g for the first pair of standard sized seahorses, with an additional 15g for each additional pair.
However, I've seen recently a post where Dan Underwood of seahorsesource.com recommends even more for the additional pairs.
Water quality IMO needs to be better than any reef tank due to the propensity of seahorses for bacterial infection that requires superior tank husbandry and temperatures on the cooler side.
There is so much more, and there certainly ARE differing opinions, but you can see my blurb here for "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)"
I'd recommend after your research, you choose to go with things that the majority of experienced keepers recommend, and if you are successful that way, then you can try some of the other ways if you are still interested in them.