PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep hermits off of birdsnest

Noob2015
09/19/2015, 09:02 AM
I have a racquetball-sized pink birdsnest that my hermits have recently started crawling all over. I pick them off and toss them to far side of rank....10 minutes later another one is parked in it. There are three on it now! Any issues that I need to worry about?

ColinAbi
09/19/2015, 09:07 AM
Howbout put the hermits in the sump and get some snails instead? My snails were much better at eating algae .

cloak
09/19/2015, 10:02 AM
Just wait it out.. It's probably just a phase. You could try piping down a few pellets on the opposite side of the tank for them to find though. This might change things up a little. I've got a small hermit that likes to perch on a Montipora, but as soon as food hits the water he's on the move.

jmm
09/19/2015, 11:14 AM
The biggest hermit magnet I ever saw was a clam on the halfshell. It looks like football team running for a loose ball when I put it in. Of course the fish go after it also, but it is hilarious how every hermit in the tank makes a straight line at high speed for the shell. Even after the visible part of the clam is gone and the fish are no longer interested, the hermits stay to pick clean the remnants for hours.

I didn't even know I had that many hermits.

Sk8r
09/19/2015, 02:41 PM
No big deal. They mass very little. If the birdsnest doesn't close up I wouldn't worry about it. You probably have a female in that collection.

Noob2015
09/21/2015, 08:08 AM
Thx for the responses. It doesn't look like they are doing any damage....but it seems to be their favorite coral to climb all over lately. Maybe as it's growing it's catching pieces of food from the water column? Just wanted to make sure others didn't notice their crabs causing harm.

cloak
09/21/2015, 10:24 AM
Maybe as it's growing it's catching pieces of food from the water column?

This makes since. I'm not sure what your feeding, but I could see how flake food or possibly some of the larger pieces of a frozen food could get caught up in the branches of a birdsnest.