PDA

View Full Version : Questions on changing tanks

dbk111
09/19/2015, 02:44 PM
Hi All,

Not sure this is the correct forum for this and let me know if I should move my post.
A couple nights ago my tank sprung a leak I moved my fish, rock, corals and other critters to a smaller home and all seem happy (except the Anemones). I filled their downsized temporary with a small base of new sand and some from the current tank. I also siphoned the water from the leaking house to the temporary condo.

I will be getting the warranty replacement tank next week and will rebuild their home. I do have two questions;

1. Should I keep the sand from the current tank in the garage and use it in the new tank or use all new?

2. I have two Fluval 306 canister filters. Is it best to drain them when not in use for a week or so or leave them with water in them so seals and other items do not dry out?

Any other info I should know?

Thanks,

Dave

Dkuhlmann
09/19/2015, 05:49 PM
I would put it back together with all of the old sand and keep as much water as you can. As far as your filters etc put them back as they were, IF you have them currently running, if not put all new media in them to avoid a spike in ammonia etc. You would have ammonia since you would have die off in the media from not being circulated. IMO

Sk8r
09/19/2015, 05:58 PM
The sand could provoke a cycle from its dieoff and upheaval. I'd get all new sand (not rock) for the setup, or if temporary, go barebottom, then use the old sand in the cycling of a new tank. With new sand, worst you get is usually hair algae. With old reused, it can be a nitrate/ammonia crisis.

thegrun
09/19/2015, 11:24 PM
The sand could provoke a cycle from its dieoff and upheaval. I'd get all new sand (not rock) for the setup, or if temporary, go barebottom, then use the old sand in the cycling of a new tank. With new sand, worst you get is usually hair algae. With old reused, it can be a nitrate/ammonia crisis.

+1, new sand for sure. I would set up the canisters to run in a 5 gallon bucket to avoid any issues.

Dkuhlmann
09/20/2015, 03:58 AM
Sk8r and thegrun I would normally agree with you but 6 weeks ago I swapped over my 20L to a 40b. I moved over all of my sand and added another 30 lbs then moved my rocks, corals and fish all without any spike at all. I think the key is doing it right away so there is no die off. Sure depending on how much nitrates and phosphates are in the sand could make difference. I'd say that my old sand was in good shape not much deitrus in it probably because I have Nassarius snail that keep it up pretty well.

I didn't check my nitrates after the change because of two reasons. First was that all corals opened up as soon as the sand dust cloud went away took about an hour or so Second going from a 20 to a 40 and still using my same sump I had to add just a tad over 20 gal new water mix even keeping all of my old water.

thegrun
09/20/2015, 08:37 AM
Dk, it can certainly be done and I've reused sand several times myself, but in those cases I knew the tank had not been subjected to high nitrates or phosphates and I had a good clean-up crew. I've always been very reluctant to advise others to re-use their sand unless I know a lot more about the quality of the sand in their tank. Since I think when you do reuse sand I think it should be flushed with saltwater to remove detritus, in the end the cost ends up being about the same as just purchasing new sand.

Dkuhlmann
09/20/2015, 09:41 AM
That makes sense, I just wanted to say it's not a must under the right circumstances. We even vacuumed off the top of the sand bed under the rocks to get that out and not put it in the new tank. Other than under the rocks there was really nothing but clean sand, so we didn't even rinse it. A diverse cuc is a must in any sw tank. My Nassarius snails are so important to taking care of the sand bed.

thegrun
09/20/2015, 10:54 AM
Dk, in reading my first post I hope you didn't take that post as an attach on you and my apologies if did, my wording was not well thought out. I actually think your post is correct in some situations, but as outlined in my follow up response I am very reluctant to give the advice of reusing old sand. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with others on this forum!

Dkuhlmann
09/20/2015, 11:44 AM
Not taken as an attack on me in anyway what so ever.I do understand the reason why you said to change the sand bed, I was just giving the other side that it can be done depending on the situation.

thegrun
09/20/2015, 04:51 PM
Not taken as an attack on me in anyway what so ever.I do understand the reason why you said to change the sand bed, I was just giving the other side that it can be done depending on the situation.

Great and it is good information to pass on as long as the recipient knows the potential issues.