PDA

View Full Version : side effects from using fauna marin dinox

sk8ter20art
09/19/2015, 07:02 PM
I went to macna 2015 and while i was there i picked up a bottle of DinoX by Fauna marin. A friend of mine had been having issues with dinos and i had 1 tank that had dinos.

I used it on a 35gal reef tank, only did one dose per the directed amount. 2 days later i was checking the tank out and some of my fish were acting funny, and corals were all closed up, even though all i did was add the dino x.

Then i got to looking at the tank closer and noticed something different, the tank had been suffering from red planaria flatworms (have tried flatworm x before and they came back ) well all the flatworms were dead/dying. Since i wasnt treating for flatworms i didnt expect this to happen, which released toxins (and there were lots of flatworms). So the toxins from the dying worms were causing the fish to act funny/ill. So i moved the fish that were affected (juv orange shoulder, and target mandarin) they got better
And then did a big water change followed by adding fresh carbon in a reactor.

Now a few days later the corals have opened back up and the dang flatworms have re-appeared. May treat again but be prepared to do water change, and carbon. The dinos are gone and this stuff does work on bubble algea, its been fading and dying off, too soon to tell if for good.

I thought id share this story to help keep anybody else from having disasters from side effects.

Billybatz9
09/19/2015, 10:18 PM
I went to macna 2015 and while i was there i picked up a bottle of DinoX by Fauna marin. A friend of mine had been having issues with dinos and i had 1 tank that had dinos.

I used it on a 35gal reef tank, only did one dose per the directed amount. 2 days later i was checking the tank out and some of my fish were acting funny, and corals were all closed up, even though all i did was add the dino x.

Then i got to looking at the tank closer and noticed something different, the tank had been suffering from red planaria flatworms (have tried flatworm x before and they came back ) well all the flatworms were dead/dying. Since i wasnt treating for flatworms i didnt expect this to happen, which released toxins (and there were lots of flatworms). So the toxins from the dying worms were causing the fish to act funny/ill. So i moved the fish that were affected (juv orange shoulder, and target mandarin) they got better
And then did a big water change followed by adding fresh carbon in a reactor.

Now a few days later the corals have opened back up and the dang flatworms have re-appeared. May treat again but be prepared to do water change, and carbon. The dinos are gone and this stuff does work on bubble algea, its been fading and dying off, too soon to tell if for good.

I thought id share this story to help keep anybody else from having disasters from side effects.

How much was the bottle of Dino x? Know of anywhere that sells it for good price?

sk8ter20art
09/19/2015, 11:19 PM
I think it was like $30 at macna direct from fauna marin. When i talked with them they said they just got there first U.S. warehouse built and were waiting on there inventory, so they should start showing up more in the U.S.