PDA

View Full Version : Help with Relocating Galaxea

Almogia
09/20/2015, 06:27 AM
Hey y'all,
I have a lot of Galaxea frags, and I'm thinking to relocate them to a different one of my aquariums, but I know that they are super aggressive.

I've read that too much flow aids in the creation of sweeper tentacles (which I have already seen them send out, in their own tank), and that this can sting other corals.

So I wanted to know if there are any other corals that are either particularly SENSITIVE or particularly HARDY against Galaxea? Or, I suppose, if anyone with experience with Galaxea recommends against the whole idea?

Attached a photo of the frag shelf - I have so many that they have started growing back together into one big colony XD

Dkuhlmann
09/20/2015, 08:25 AM
Many corals in fact most corals have this ability. Some are worse of a sting than others. So it's recommended to space different corals at least 6" apart.

You sure do have a bunch of them. How many total frags do you have there to get rid of

billsreef
09/20/2015, 11:49 AM
You really want to keep galaxia from stinging any other corals. Those sweepers can easily extend about a foot. Physical barriers (rock walls or a piece of plexi) can help for packing them in with other species.

Docdiggy
09/20/2015, 11:58 AM
Yup, I traded my big galaxea cause it was mean. It was a real nice piece too.

Almogia
09/21/2015, 12:18 PM
Dkuhlmann - I think about 200 small frags, with four or five bigger colonies. I don't want to get rid of them, as we (the lab people, that is) might need them for experiments at some point.
But I just don't see the point of having so many tanks "open" (I have three 600L and one 1000L) when they are all sort of empty - they each have one shelf of corals and that's it in the whole tank!

I'm trying to consolidate but it's tricky...most of my corals are light lovers, so shelf stacking isn't much of an option...

Bill - The problem then is how to get enough flow over them, without it being too strong and blasting off their tissue (been there, done that, not a pretty sight)

Almogia
09/24/2015, 04:14 AM
Well thanks for the replies, guys, but the question is now moot.

The chiller in that aquarium went berserk, and dropped the temp down to 9 Celsius overnight - everything is very very dead :'(
All my beautiful galaxea and turbinaria, plus my tangs, urchins, brittlestars, snails, shrimp...all of it gone

theMatrix
09/24/2015, 04:34 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Dkuhlmann
09/24/2015, 05:48 AM
OUCH! Ya sorry to hear that.

billsreef
09/24/2015, 07:09 AM
Sorry to hear that. Never good when chillers or heaters run amok :( Don't know what your lab is equipped with, but best luck I've had is with running chillers and heaters with Ranco controllers. Failure mode is normally to just stop working instead of sticking on, so you might loose the chiller or heater, but at least it doesn't over do things and gives a bit more of a margin for discovering and fixing the issue.

billsreef
09/24/2015, 07:34 AM
Tasha,

Two things, first off, posting just for the sake of raising post count is frowned upon. It bumps posts that people are following, only to have them check to see what was posted and find nothing worthwhile, which is aggravating to many people.

Secondly,

[welcome]

Dkuhlmann
09/25/2015, 06:09 AM
Tasha, Bill's right it's a major pita to read not only useless posts but ones that actually say this is my x post.

What I suggest is that you ask questions, there are so many threads here you shouldn't have any trouble finding one where you can ask questions of what you need to learn.

Welcome to RC :thumbsup: