PDA

View Full Version : Killing bubble algae with no light

diggler93
09/20/2015, 07:54 AM
Hello,

Anybody know how long it takes to kill bubble algae when there is no light?

Need to redo my tank due to a bubble algae infestation and would rather not nuke everything with bleach if I can help it.

Thanks

Bent
09/20/2015, 08:45 AM
It depends in the severity.

Pics?

ncaldwell
09/20/2015, 08:58 AM
You weren't able to kill with emerald crabs or other animals? What I'd guess at least a week probably more as I find bubbles of it occasionally in my filter bag and leave it

davocean
09/20/2015, 09:45 AM
I've seen bubble algae still alive that was buried under rockwork for who knows how long, seriously doubt any lights out period will do much of anything to get rid of it.
Emerald crabs would be my go to.

thegrun
09/20/2015, 09:52 AM
I've seen bubble algae still alive that was buried under rockwork for who knows how long, seriously doubt any lights out period will do much of anything to get rid of it.
Emerald crabs would be my go to.

+1, it would take months and I'm not sure even that would kill it.

SoloGarth
09/20/2015, 10:03 AM
Yes the only way to be rid of it is manual removal of all bubble algae or better yet sterilizing all rocks

diggler93
09/20/2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks all. Bleach it is.

SoloGarth
09/20/2015, 10:20 AM
Bleach isn't necessary. Just let it dry out for a while. I guess better to be safe but I can't see it surviving out of the water long term.

cloak
09/20/2015, 10:21 AM
If your going to go the emerald crab route you might as well just try and manually remove as many as you can before each water change. Don't worry about popping them. If you keep doing this from week to week and don't slack off you should be able to keep them under control. You'll probably never eradicate it from your system completely, but there are certain numbers that are bearable. I have bubble algae in my tank, but I stay ahead of it. GL.

ryeguyy84
09/20/2015, 11:10 AM
1/4 inch airline cut to a point and manually remove then while siphoning. It takes forever but you'll eventually get ahead of it. Skim slightly wet after the manual removal.

diggler93
09/20/2015, 11:40 AM
I've tried emerald crabs, super low nutrient route, picking it off and I'm sick of dealing with it. I've starved my corals and actually lost some due to running ridiculous amounts of GFO and NoPox yet the stuff survives. I think bubble algae and **** roaches will be the only thing alive after a nuclear blast.

davocean
09/20/2015, 11:45 AM
There are some online vendors that sell emeralds that are gauranteed to eat it, not all do, but I have had huge populations of valonia wiped out by just a few good emeralds.
That and manual removal are really the two best options you have.

diggler93
09/20/2015, 11:46 AM
Problem is I'm in Canada and I am not aware of any vendors that guarantee that. Wish there were I would buy 100.

Sugar Magnolia
09/20/2015, 12:09 PM
I killed all of mine by injecting the bubbles with hydrogen peroxide. My mithrax crabs who weren't eating the bubbles before, cleaned up the remains of the bubbles. I went after the bubble algae in batches over the course of a couple of weeks but the clusters were finally gone.

kinnadian
09/20/2015, 02:55 PM
Can't be beaten with blackouts, low nutrients, nothing.

Once you have it, the only way to beat it is to find something that will continually eat it, or tear down your tank and start again.

joshkirkland83
09/20/2015, 03:11 PM
I have a 100g. It was on a quarter of my live rock that goes up 24" and 48" long. I took each rock out and scrubbed with a wire brush then dipped in hydrogen peroxide, rinsed, put back. Havent seen any since. That was 7 months ago. Its at least worth a shot for a 79 cent bottle of peroxide.

Vancouver Reefr
09/20/2015, 05:31 PM
I bought a foxface to deal with mine and he has done a fantastic job. My whole tank was covered, now there are just a few spots left where his snout cannot reach.

alton
09/21/2015, 07:30 AM
There are some online vendors that sell emeralds that are gauranteed to eat it, not all do, but I have had huge populations of valonia wiped out by just a few good emeralds.
That and manual removal are really the two best options you have.

Please list one of the vendors, I have not found an emerald yet that eats what I have

Bent
09/21/2015, 07:57 AM
Reefcleaners.org garuntees theirs I think k...

SoloGarth
09/21/2015, 08:15 AM
Emeralds are only guaranteed to eat something you don't want them to in my experience. Like your favorite coral.

Allentown
09/21/2015, 04:59 PM
Fox face eats it?

Well that settles it....I'm defiantly getting a fox now! My scribbled was a great fish, used to let me pet him at feedings and ate out if my hand.

Won't emerald crabs go after torch and hammers?

I tried to tell someone on here recently that bubble is more like an infection and not subject to removal with normal means.

He flatly insisted I was wrong, I left him to his delusion