PDA

View Full Version : No-name LED fixture sold under so many names

seamonster124
09/20/2015, 01:05 PM
Anyone else notice this Fixture in their LFS and online?

Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED

All my LFSs are using them, one store sells it with their store name on it.
I believe the exact same unit is being sold under the names: HydroGalaxy, Photon, Tao Tronics, Viparled, Aquamana, Euphotica, OceanRevive, Magiove, and more.

shifty51008
09/20/2015, 01:16 PM
There are lots of equipment like this, i can call up jebao and have them put a name i choose on their pumps and sell them as mine.

ca1ore
09/20/2015, 02:06 PM
It's the reality for many categories of technology. A few OEM's that make an item, and then a whole lot of resellers that slap their brand name on them. Is true for flat panel TVs for example. Before you get your outrage up :), consider that that this is done principally to leverage economies of scale and results in lower prices to the consumer. That's you and me.

kinnadian
09/20/2015, 03:50 PM
Anyone else notice this Fixture in their LFS and online?

Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED

All my LFSs are using them, one store sells it with their store name on it.
I believe the exact same unit is being sold under the names: HydroGalaxy, Photon, Tao Tronics, Viparled, Aquamana, Euphotica, OceanRevive, Magiove, and more.

Many of the companies listed sell actual decent lights (I know of Evergrow, Ocean Revive and Reefbreeders, not sure about the rest).

While they may use the same shell, the good ones (can't speak for all of the brands you have listed) use different components; higher quality electronics and better quality LEDs.

You can buy $0.50 CREE LEDs or $3 CREE LEDs, the difference is the BIN of the LED. If an LED has gone through some quality control process and been accepted, then the LED has the correct wavelength of light, correct light dispersion and PAR output, etc. If an LED has not passed this quality control, it is the $0.50 LED which are put into the cheap or unbranded lights.

Also the crappier ones under-drive the LEDs significantly to prolong life, I got an unbranded one for my refugium and they were driving most LEDs at about 1.4-1.7W (out of a possible 3W) to give a total output of about 90W (but they advertise as 165W). At this output they aren't any good for anything deeper than 12".

The fundamental difference between all of these is the quality of the LEDs used. Sometimes you can luck out and get actual good LEDs, sometimes you get unlucky and they are all crap.

They all look similar because they are all using the same metal stamp to produce the shell. The companies I listed above are decent quality, have a proven track record and come with some warranty.

zachfishman
09/20/2015, 04:36 PM
Many of the companies listed sell actual decent lights (I know of Evergrow, Ocean Revive and Reefbreeders, not sure about the rest).

I can speak to the quality of ReefBreeders. Add Reef Radiance to the list of quality "rebranders" as well.

Ron Reefman
09/21/2015, 07:28 AM

While they may use the same shell, the good ones (can't speak for all of the brands you have listed) use different components; higher quality electronics and better quality LEDs.

You can buy $0.50 CREE LEDs or $3 CREE LEDs, the difference is the BIN of the LED. If an LED has gone through some quality control process and been accepted, then the LED has the correct wavelength of light, correct light dispersion and PAR output, etc. If an LED has not passed this quality control, it is the $0.50 LED which are put into the cheap or unbranded lights. And there is no reason that less expensive Bridgelux leds are any worse than pricey Cree leds. Sure the Cree are more efficient and probably binned better, but do they make for healthier or faster growing corals... probably not.

Also the crappier ones under-drive the LEDs significantly to prolong life, I got an unbranded one for my refugium and they were driving most LEDs at about 1.4-1.7W (out of a possible 3W) to give a total output of about 90W (but they advertise as 165W). At this output they aren't any good for anything deeper than 12".

The fundamental difference between all of these is the quality of the LEDs used. Sometimes you can luck out and get actual good LEDs, sometimes you get unlucky and they are all crap.

They all look similar because they are all using the same metal stamp to produce the shell. The companies I listed above are decent quality, have a proven track record and come with some warranty.

I agree with most of what you wrote.

I do have one significant disagreement. You wrote "The fundamental difference between all of these is the quality of the LEDs used. Sometimes you can luck out and get actual good LEDs, sometimes you get unlucky and they are all crap." Most of the brands you listed use the same Bridgelux leds and very few use any upgrade leds. Sure the Bridgelux leds are less expensive than Cree but are they really any less able to grow coral? I don't think so. Light is light and sure the Cree leds may be more efficient, all the fixtures with Bridgelux leds seem to grow coral just as well as those with expensive Cree leds.

It's the guys who use the very low power leds that don't penetrate more than 12"-18" into the tank that are the real crap. A couple like Current and Marineland do use crap extra low power leds (0.3 to 0.5 watts). OK for a 12" deep 10g tank, otherwise, stay away.

The things that vary most between the better Chinese fixtures and the cheap Chinese fixtures isn't the leds. It's all the other stuff, like real heat sinks vs a sheet of aluminum, quiet fans vs noisy fans, stainless steel screws vs rust prone steel screws, aluminum case vs rust prone steel case and powder coating vs cheap paint. Better drivers and better circuit boards probably figure in as well, but you and I would have a hard time telling which is good and which is cheap.

theMatrix
09/21/2015, 07:55 AM
Mines have the option to upgrade the leds at a later time given they crap out.

Ive been looking for a manual to verify and confirm this to then i can do as another and swap 10 led bulbs for 5w cree
Will continue my search.

The original maker is overseas and overseas customers actually use these in their stores and personal use. Ive seen great lights with no access to public purchase. Needs a bussiness account to bulk purchase.

Heres the product from the maker. I believe they are the 1at step to the rebranded series.

I want the 3led clusters with 120 opticals .
The model shown has a nice set amount of 5w cree bulbs.

http://www.aquasanrise.com/List.asp?L-8290539990.html

Crumpy
09/21/2015, 10:07 AM
I have a set I love them

victorcan
01/04/2016, 11:40 AM
I am setting up a new 180g system, I already have a set of Radions for my 110 Im upgrading from, and either need another radeon or I could implement 1 of these ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC9GY1S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A12DDOR52M4HB5 )
or should i just get a 3rd radion.. really don't wanna drop nearly double the money for the radeon unless it would provide better results? just not sure

bchap05
01/04/2016, 01:54 PM
I have a Reefbreeders which seems to work pretty good. At least on my tank but I'm not growing any hardcore corals this point. Just some softies. And I got it cheap from a buddy who upgraded

victorcan
01/04/2016, 03:22 PM
I have a Reefbreeders which seems to work pretty good. At least on my tank but I'm not growing any hardcore corals this point. Just some softies. And I got it cheap from a buddy who upgraded

What did he upgrade to do you know?

Ron Reefman
01/05/2016, 08:11 AM
I had a Radion over a frag tank and it was OK, but not worth the price IMHO.

I would have needed at least 3 for my 180g sps/lps reef which would have cost $2250 back 3 years ago. I got 2 EverGrow IT2080 fixtures (same as ReefBreeders Photon 32) for under $700 in a group buy. Three years later I'm perfectly happy with that decision. The $1500 I saved bought a lot of other stuff!

victorcan
01/05/2016, 11:04 AM
If I didn't have 2 Radions already it wouldn't even be a question, i couldn't agree more with you.. scotch does make some incredible stuff and they know it thus a price thats double what it should otherwise be.. That being said Ive already dolled out the dough for the 2 others on my 110 gallon which will be going in my new 180 so the 3rd just makes sense, not to mention I had $500 accumulated in BRS point so it only ended up costing me $170.. Don't get me wrong I know thats $500 i could have easily spent on other stuff like an upgraded skimmer or a new iwaki pump but.... least Ill have a consistent light pattern now.