PDA

View Full Version : Using NSW from a temperate climate

bristle
09/20/2015, 11:31 PM
I'm considering filling my tropical reef aquarium with natural sea water (NSW) but I live in a temperate climate (Vancouver). I know the Vancouver aquarium runs their locally sourced water through UV and possibly ozone for the tropical sections but I'm wondering if there is anything that may be detrimental to my aquarium denizens. I imagine some of the algaes and planktons won't live in warmer water.

eddiereefs
09/20/2015, 11:50 PM
I wouldnt chance it. U will only find clean low phosphate water in tropical reef areas like bali. U never want to start out with dirty water because u will grow algae like mad. Test it to be sure, best bet is buying an ro unit.

Ron Reefman
09/21/2015, 06:54 AM
Just where are you going to collect your 'local' water?

A few feet off the beach is probably a bad idea. I won't even do that in SW Florida.

Going out in a boat and collecting well off shore (at least a few miles) is more likely OK. I have this option here in Florida and I'd rather make saltwater. Cleaner and less work.

bristle
09/21/2015, 11:16 AM
I was thinking off one of the piers. Bucket and rope.

figuerres
09/21/2015, 11:31 AM
a lot of the stuff in nsw from anywhere would be ok but as was said you need to get about a mile off shore and know where to go, bascialy you do not want to be in or near any shipping lanes due to possible ship waste issues. also stay clear of any kind of storm water discharge paths. and away from any outflow from rivers in the area. and run it thru a filter to get any large stuff out.
after that it's ok.

but not the end of a pier, way to close to all kind of contaminating stuff ranging from human waste to leaking engine oil , diesel fuel, run off of all kinds.... not at all clean

BrandonFlorida
09/21/2015, 11:51 AM
I just started collecting NSW here in florida and so far so good. I put the water thru a micron sock and that is it. No algae outbreaks (yet) and the water is low on calcium and mag but I will dose it accordingly..

Most people freak when you say your going to use NSW, but so far ive had good success..

I would love to hear someone chime in that had a bad experience with NSW and if they did im sure it was collected on the beach or close to shore..

BrandonFlorida
09/21/2015, 11:52 AM
oh I collect from marineland, they have a place called whitney labs that collects water for sea turtles and for research..

If its good enough for sea turtles, then its good enough for me :)

Its free to the public and that is good for me..

I couldn't stand paying for salt, mixing, and all that crap..

figuerres
09/21/2015, 03:38 PM
I just started collecting NSW here in florida and so far so good. I put the water thru a micron sock and that is it. No algae outbreaks (yet) and the water is low on calcium and mag but I will dose it accordingly..

Most people freak when you say your going to use NSW, but so far ive had good success..

I would love to hear someone chime in that had a bad experience with NSW and if they did im sure it was collected on the beach or close to shore..

or collect water inside a harbor, some of that stuff makes me gag when I look at it up close, so freaking nasty and green & full of trash!