PDA

View Full Version : leopard wrasse constantly diving in sand?

Maxxingout
09/21/2015, 12:54 PM
For anyone that might know wrasse behavior. What's the deal with my blue star leopard wrasse constantly diving in and out of the sand all day long? He's been turning my tank into a dust storm for weeks now. I caught him doing in a few times since at first I thought it was my Melanurus. He seems to be focusing his dives mainly next to rocks. This is also dumping sand all over my corals and rocks.

I feed the tank pellets/flakes on a timer around noon and frozen later that day around 5pm. If anyone has a clue I'd love to know.

Swensos
09/21/2015, 12:58 PM
Maybe it's trying to find the best spot for sleeping. How deep is your sandbed?

Also, have you checked out the Leopard Wrasse Primer? There you can read about people's different experiences with them.

Edit: Forgot the link http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2369454

ca1ore
09/21/2015, 02:53 PM
Hmmn, never had any of mine do that. How long have you had it (weeks?); I assume it is eating? Maybe you just have a crazy fish.

Sand.man
09/21/2015, 02:59 PM
I've heard of leopards doing this to find food in the sand. In their case, unfortunately once it learned that if it creates a sand storm like this it can find food within the sand, this habit can be hard to stop.

Just a possibility.

Maxxingout
09/22/2015, 07:31 AM
I've had this blue star for about 4-5 months but like I said, just started this a few weeks ago.

I've heard of leopards doing this to find food in the sand. In their case, unfortunately once it learned that if it creates a sand storm like this it can find food within the sand, this habit can be hard to stop.

If that's the case it'll stink for me:( I noticed yesterday that my pearl wrasse started doing it also. Dove down next to a rock then came right back out. Bad habits are starting to form here if this is the case. That or they have flukes? I don't see them twitching or rubbing though.

Nina51
09/22/2015, 08:19 AM
my vrolik's wrasse does this but i only notice the behavior later in the evening after i have fed the tank. he makes quite a mess sometimes and keeps uprooting the frogspawn frags i have on the sand bed. naughty boy!

CedzAquAddictio
09/22/2015, 11:41 AM
Possibly something has disturbed or taken over it's original sleeping spot?

Mine also will hit the sandbed a few times as soon as the lights come on so he can grab a few unsuspecting pods before they can hide themselves.

Any aggression between your Melanurus and your Leopard? Mine bullies my Potters Wrasse. Not quite enough to send him to the sandbed, but enough to make the Potters avoid the Melanurus...

Maxxingout
09/22/2015, 12:23 PM
Any aggression between your Melanurus and your Leopard? Mine bullies my Potters Wrasse. Not quite enough to send him to the sandbed, but enough to make the Potters avoid the Melanurus...

Very little I'd say. It's more of a "move out of my way" type approach and the Melanurus doesn't do it all the time. Not sure what the tank is like during the day since I'm not at home. Sometimes when I get home the tank is pretty clear, other times not. I might adjust my auto feeder to feed twice before I get home.

Possibly something has disturbed or taken over it's original sleeping spot?

With 4 sand sleeping wrasses anything is possible.

evolved
09/22/2015, 01:28 PM
It's more than likely this:
I've heard of leopards doing this to find food in the sand. In their case, unfortunately once it learned that if it creates a sand storm like this it can find food within the sand, this habit can be hard to stop. .

I have some Halichoeres which do it; not as common with Macropharyngodon but not unheard of either. You could try feeding more frequently.

snorvich
09/22/2015, 04:53 PM

Just a possibility.

mine do this for that purpose; I have reserved some areas to prevent this using live rock rubble to break up the sand areas. (Some corals on the sand in those areas)

Maxxingout
09/23/2015, 08:01 AM
I'm going to increase the feedings to 3/4x a day and see if that changes anything?

On a positive note; my sand bed is always looking clean:)