PDA

View Full Version : So my new clown fish lasted about 5 minutes...

trembz
09/21/2015, 05:12 PM
Dropped a black and white clown in my tank, within 5 mins, my maroon clown spotted it, darted at it once and and was fortunate enough to swim straight into a mini maxi carpet anemone.
Got stung then swallowed....
Quickest 10$ ever spent

Dkuhlmann
09/21/2015, 05:15 PM
OUCH! Sorry for your loss and that sucks

billdogg
09/21/2015, 05:22 PM
Even in a large tank the Maroon will be the boss, especially of anything remotely similar (other clowns. damsels, etc.) It will also attack you eventually. I nearly jumped outa my shoes the first time.

trembz
09/21/2015, 05:24 PM
I get attacked every time I stick my hand tank, I gave it a shot cause he's quite calm towards all my other fish.
Could be because he's the smallest of them all. But live and and learn I guess....
No more clowns.

Allentown
09/21/2015, 05:49 PM
My tank raised "peaceful" clowns attack me relentless every chance it gets...once it even jumped completely out of the tank and airborne attacked me....landing in the floor did not deter it from attacking me either.

Having said that, maroon clowns are worse.

They (my clowns) do not bother any other fish...but maroons will attack almost any fish .

heathlindner25
09/21/2015, 05:57 PM
I get attacked every time I stick my hand tank, I gave it a shot cause he's quite calm towards all my other fish.
Could be because he's the smallest of them all. But live and and learn I guess....
No more clowns.

Yeh,5 minutes worth of research would have saved you 10 bucks and a life....

trembz
09/21/2015, 06:05 PM
Yeh,5 minutes worth of research would have saved you 10 bucks and a life....
Like I said he doesn't bother with any other fish and he's quite timid. I gave it a shot cause I would have like one of each clown.
Should I have mentioned that theres another clown in there that he never bothered with?
That good old "research"
No need for the snotty remark.
A spider has a life also, unless you open the door and let it out rather than kill it when you see it.

heathlindner25
09/21/2015, 06:45 PM
Like I said he doesn't bother with any other fish and he's quite timid. I gave it a shot cause I would have like one of each clown.
Should I have mentioned that theres another clown in there that he never bothered with?
That good old "research"
No need for the snotty remark.
A spider has a life also, unless you open the door and let it out rather than kill it when you see it.

I didn't mean to come off cross, I was just thinking Maroons are extremely aggressive fish and a little asking around might have come up with" not a good idea"

Lucky Lefty
09/21/2015, 07:52 PM

I actually do this easily 19 out of 20 times there's a spider in my house.

My wife always make a face and remark. Why kill such a cool creature? He's just trying to eat the bugs that want to bite me. I like them, just as long as they don't touch me.

Cdodge1
09/21/2015, 08:40 PM
Maroon clownfish are just mean. Sorry about your loss. Be sure to check fish compatibility next time you make a purchase...sure its only $10 but a life is a life. Just my 2 cents.

trembz
09/21/2015, 08:47 PM
It's not the maroon clown that killed him nor that swallowed him, it's the anenome.
Any fish could have darted at him once and startled him enough to be unlucky enough to swim right into the anenome.

My complain isn't about the maroon, just how unlucky he was to swim into the mini maxi.

figuerres
09/21/2015, 09:15 PM
Wow, almost every member of the damsel family is aggressive, some more some less but all of them tend to be that way.

Cdodge1
09/21/2015, 10:59 PM
It's not the maroon clown that killed him nor that swallowed him, it's the anenome.
Any fish could have darted at him once and startled him enough to be unlucky enough to swim right into the anenome.

My complain isn't about the maroon, just how unlucky he was to swim into the mini maxi.

Ah, trembz, I thought the maroon had injured him, causing him to be to eaten... I see what your saying.

Cdodge1
09/21/2015, 11:01 PM
Wow, almost every member of the damsel family is aggressive, some more some less but all of them tend to be that way.

Yes, my BW clown is particularly violent to humans...

ca1ore
09/21/2015, 11:02 PM
Think on the bight side, at least you'll save a few bucks in anemone food.

davocean
09/22/2015, 08:25 AM
This is why we advise one pair of clowns per tank, and a maroon should be paired w/ another maroon.
Groups of clowns are usually clowns from the same clutch/same species.
Even when attempting to pair maroons it is best to intro in a specimen container or breeder box for this reason, often maroon females will kill a new maroon if it does not accept it, I'm sure the black and white was just darting away trying to escape her.

trembz
09/22/2015, 10:16 AM
This is why we advise one pair of clowns per tank, and a maroon should be paired w/ another maroon.
Groups of clowns are usually clowns from the same clutch/same species.
Even when attempting to pair maroons it is best to intro in a specimen container or breeder box for this reason, often maroon females will kill a new maroon if it does not accept it, I'm sure the black and white was just darting away trying to escape her.
The black and white clown fish could have darted away from any fish in the tank and been unlucky enough to swim into the anemone.
The maroon clown fish did nothing wrong, any fish could have chased it first seeing as how it had just been introduced into the tank.
I didn't start this thread to hate on the maroon clown.
I could have tapped on the glass and frightened it so that it turned around and darted into the anemone.
I understand the issue with territorial clowns. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years.
I just wanted to state the unfortunate event.

jrp1588
09/22/2015, 11:50 AM
My female maroon is about 3" long, and is paired up with a 1.5" male. So far she's been very gentle, though the male is a bit territorial. Fingers crossed that she stays that way as she grows. She'll only go after me if I'm messing with her nem, and even then it's pretty half-hearted. Not like my old clarkii female that would stalk me and bomb me out of nowhere.

Shawn O
09/22/2015, 12:17 PM
My male oscellaris bites my hand whenever I reach in the tank, the female only attacks snails and the floating hydrometer who have the nerve to go into her area. Clowns are jerks sometimes. Maybe they should have just named them Jerk-fish instead of Clown-fish.

ballhog
09/22/2015, 12:24 PM
I wonder if you would have kept the new clown in a floating breeder box for a few days it would have had more of a chance. I know they say not to mix clowns, but maybe he would have had more of a chance

JMorris271
09/22/2015, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry for your clowns bad sense of direction.
I had a koi that I paid a hefty chunk for that was startled by another koi that had breached. This resulted in the fish doing a very full speed 90* turn and as bad luck would have it, ramming it's head into the side of the pond wall.
Instant death.

Cdodge1
09/22/2015, 06:19 PM

Booooo. Booo Maroon Clowns. Boo.

Just kidding man, haha everyone is overreacting. Sorry about the clown. Guess I learned clowns can be stung after all.

albano
09/22/2015, 06:27 PM
Maroon clowns and 6line wrasses don't belong in anyone's tank
:eek2:

Fish Keeper82
09/22/2015, 07:36 PM
Maroon clowns and 6line wrasses don't belong in anyone's tank
:eek2:

Funny how we umbrella type cast the nature of fish. I had a six line wrasse that was one of my most docile fish for 6 years or so till he went carpet surfing.
Now that its generally viewed by many reefers as a bad idea to add a sixline, I have not added one now because it would kill me to see any of my long lived fish bullied.
At the time I got mine this was not the view or at least the research I had come across back in about 2001 did not draw me to this conclusion. Now they seem to be the Devil :angryfire:

davocean
09/22/2015, 08:37 PM
The black and white clown fish could have darted away from any fish in the tank and been unlucky enough to swim into the anemone.
The maroon clown fish did nothing wrong, any fish could have chased it first seeing as how it had just been introduced into the tank.
I could have tapped on the glass and frightened it so that it turned around and darted into the anemone.
I understand the issue with territorial clowns. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years.
I just wanted to state the unfortunate event.

I don't see how my comment sounded like I was hating your maroon, just a helpful piece of advice for you or anyone reading since this is an open forum for discussion and learning.
You have multiple clowns and different species, I'm stating this is generally not a good idea.
Your opening statement, "my maroon clown spotted it, darted at it once and and was fortunate enough to swim straight into a mini maxi carpet anemone.

I'm telling you and anyone reading this is probably going to happen or the maroon will just kill it if more than a pair or a different species, pretty much always, though there are rare exceptions for one reason or another, this is the most likely outcome.

snorvich
09/22/2015, 09:38 PM
The anemone was an accident, but the maroon would have killed the new clownfish in any case.

ColinAbi
09/22/2015, 10:35 PM
The anemone was an accident, but the maroon would have killed the new clownfish in any case.

Very true. Maroons are known to be very aggressive.