PDA

View Full Version : These gorilla crabs...help me out here.

Bent
09/21/2015, 09:01 PM
So tonight, I decided to count my crabs that I see that aren't porcelains.

I counted 8 that I could see, and to me they all looked like gorilla crabs. I know "gorilla" is a hobbiest term, and there are dozens of "gorilla" crab species.

They are meat eaters, that much I know by looking at those wicked claws. The largest is probably 1/4" while the smallest is tiny. 1/8" or smaller. I know as they get older, the hunting gene will kick in and they will go after more than just detritus.

There's no possible way on planet earth I can get them out. They are so small they disappear within the rock and short of dismantling everything and busting the rocks open, I can't see them coming out.

I've tried the glass jar propped against the rock trick with some shrimp in the bottom, but 3 nights later I still caught nothing.

The problem seems to be that these little guys don't move any. I can typically find them in the same spots every night. While I might be able to skewer them with a BBQ skewer, id rather not. I'd like to catch them alive and put them in the sump. There they at least stand half a chance at life.

Does anyone know at what size these little dudes will become a problem? And a problem in what sense? What are they likely to go after?

Given that I'm trying to recreate more of an ecosystem here and not so much of an ornamental show piece, do they need to go? I would imagine as they get bigger hey will be easier to catch. By that point am I going to be pulling my beard hairs out? If I decide to let them be for a few months, what are my limitations? When I do go to get them out, or if I need to catch them now, how on earth would I go about it ?
Thanks guys.

deweyhowell
09/21/2015, 09:27 PM
Folks definitely have luck with the jar on the rock trick. As they get bigger, I've also had good luck just grabbing them with a claw grabber from Home Depot. Impossible to do when they are small.

I don't know what all they prey on in the tank, I never caught them red-handed, but I suspect most smaller inverts would be toast sooner or later.

Bent
09/21/2015, 09:32 PM
Yeah my dudes are so little that i tore ones claw off with a pair of tweezers trying to catch it.

toothybugs
09/22/2015, 05:47 AM
I read somewhere that a dip in fresh water will get them moving. I tried it since I had a good one (1"+) eating corals in plain view and wow did it work well. They just came flyin' out! Nuked a pistol in the process unfortunately but most of the crabs were visible after doing that. A small flashlight helps for looking in the holes for whoever you've missed.

I should note though that 3 weeks later I still am picking a few small crabs out. The bigger ones are gone though. There is just an insane amount of crabs on these rocks. I still dig it.

Tweaked
09/22/2015, 07:29 AM
Don't care how many free critters you get, the live rock is not worth it in the end for me. Like I said, what if someone setup a large tank with that rock. They would be very upset to tear it down looking for what is making the snapping noise and find what ate their expensive fish and or coral. Just not for me.

I would take the rock out and dip it if it were mine. All of it!

Bent
09/22/2015, 09:03 AM
Don't care how many free critters you get, the live rock is not worth it in the end for me. Like I said, what if someone setup a large tank with that rock. They would be very upset to tear it down looking for what is making the snapping noise and find what ate their expensive fish and or coral. Just not for me.

I would take the rock out and dip it if it were mine. All of it!

Like I said before, if your going for an more reef like ecosystem and not so much pretty ornamental stuff. It's perfect.

But if you want to stay sterile and have only what you add, then rock from the ocean is not for you.

raybyrne67
09/22/2015, 09:09 AM
Melanurus Wrasse will take care of a crab problem.

Tweaked
09/22/2015, 09:21 AM
All fun and games until the bobbit comes out to play

soulpatch
09/22/2015, 09:44 AM
sure they are not smaller mithrax crabs? They have pointier claws and can be easily mistaken for a gorilla as they also have hairy legs at times.

shred5
09/22/2015, 09:54 AM
All fun and games until the bobbit comes out to play

Nooooooooooo those are bad...

Most rock in the end you dont see anyway once it is filled in with corals.

It is fun to see what comes out of good live rock like Florida aqauculture rock even though that stuff is heavy and requires allot more rock..

I have had pest for years in some tank like mantis and just could not keep shrimp and snails.

I had a emerald crab recently I had to remove because he was catching shrimp and eating them.

alten78
09/22/2015, 10:09 AM
I still get flashbacks of hunting those damn things at night with a flashlight, they do get big and will eat anything they can get. I still have the make shift spear...maybe more of a bayonet...that I made out of a long dowel rod and a thin steak knife.

Buzz1329
09/22/2015, 05:25 PM
If skewer works for gorilla crabs, skewer them.

If they are emerald crabs, rather than gorilla crabs, skewer away. Emerald crabs that I have kept from at 6 different sources ate LPS polyps, not bubble algae.

I am now committed to a crab free tank. IME, no good can come from crabs.

Good luck,

Mike

P.S. Death to the crabs!

figuerres
09/22/2015, 05:46 PM
Crab traps used by fishermen use smelly fish that is going bad, the crabs smell it and then try to find the food....
Some kind of container that you can put food into and the crab has to work at getting them out, leave it in the tank in the evening and let them crawl in and get to feeding. Then take out the container full of crabs. Spear can work if you are fast and can sit and watch them.

Bent
09/22/2015, 06:42 PM
If skewer works for gorilla crabs, skewer them.

If they are emerald crabs, rather than gorilla crabs, skewer away. Emerald crabs that I have kept from at 6 different sources ate LPS polyps, not bubble algae.

Good luck,

Mike

P.S. Death to the crabs!

The filtering crustaceans like porcelain crabs and squat lobsters don't hurt anything. Of course they aren't true crabs or true lobsters either.

cambo123
09/22/2015, 08:20 PM
I left most of the smaller ones. I removed the bigger ones when I got the rock. Honestly, and this may sound harsh, I think the easiest approach as they get bigger is a sharpened chop stick.

figuerres
09/22/2015, 08:44 PM
I left most of the smaller ones. I removed the bigger ones when I got the rock. Honestly, and this may sound harsh, I think the easiest approach as they get bigger is a sharpened chop stick.

heck life in the sea is tough, they are on the dinner menu for a lot of things in the wild so most of them never make it in the wild..... and they reproduce in mass that is why we get so many on every load of rock. so not a big deal to get rid of them in your tank.

saf1
09/22/2015, 09:00 PM
Glad Tupperware container, they come in various sizes. Cut a slot in the top that you feel is large enough for them to crawl into. On the tab or through lid/lip, put a pin hole. Attach fishing line so lid is sealed, and strong enough to pull. Slot is only large enough for it to enter, it would escape, but when you pull it won't be able to navigate through quick enough.

So now the trap setting.

Place some shrimp or other food morsels in there. Place it near a rock so it is somewhat hidden from plain site yet you can still pull and get it out. On the top of the container, while it is somewhat tilted, line/lip facing top of tank at an angle though, get some substrate and sprinkle it on the top of the container.

Now you have the container, full of water, some food, and substrate, and you let it go. You know about when you normally see them, so lights out, and let your eyes adjust to ambient light. Once it enters it will think everything is cool because there is a bit of substrate that it walked over, maybe inside the container, and eating. You pull.

Game over. That is how I caught ever single crab I didn't want in the tank. Worked every time. Just need to size it properly, get the food that will smell a bit (pellets and shrimp (small) pieces), and they will do the rest.

Best of luck.

Buzz1329
09/23/2015, 06:05 PM

Agreed! But even the smaller ones will eat your snails.

Mike

Buzz1329
09/23/2015, 06:06 PM
Glad Tupperware container, they come in various sizes. Cut a slot in the top that you feel is large enough for them to crawl into. On the tab or through lid/lip, put a pin hole. Attach fishing line so lid is sealed, and strong enough to pull. Slot is only large enough for it to enter, it would escape, but when you pull it won't be able to navigate through quick enough.

So now the trap setting.

Place some shrimp or other food morsels in there. Place it near a rock so it is somewhat hidden from plain site yet you can still pull and get it out. On the top of the container, while it is somewhat tilted, line/lip facing top of tank at an angle though, get some substrate and sprinkle it on the top of the container.

Now you have the container, full of water, some food, and substrate, and you let it go. You know about when you normally see them, so lights out, and let your eyes adjust to ambient light. Once it enters it will think everything is cool because there is a bit of substrate that it walked over, maybe inside the container, and eating. You pull.

Game over. That is how I caught ever single crab I didn't want in the tank. Worked every time. Just need to size it properly, get the food that will smell a bit (pellets and shrimp (small) pieces), and they will do the rest.

Best of luck.

Great tip. Thanks.

Mike

Bent
10/06/2015, 10:49 PM
Well I thought I would update this.

I've managed to pull all but two that I can see out with a pair of tweezers and reflexes. Two of the ones I pulled out were pretty good size. About the size of my thumbnail. Big enough to hurt something. I also managed to find a couple more whelks.

I will say....speaking of bobbits...

As I was picking a piece of rock up, something that resembled a centipede ran out of a hole in the rock and tagged my finger. It wasn't huge, but it was a pretty good bite for something so small.

Will bobbits attack your hand?...cause that didn't look like any bristle worm I've ever seen.

Dkuhlmann
10/07/2015, 03:07 AM
Nooooooooooo those are bad...

Most rock in the end you dont see anyway once it is filled in with corals.

It is fun to see what comes out of good live rock like Florida aqauculture rock even though that stuff is heavy and requires allot more rock..

I have had pest for years in some tank like mantis and just could not keep shrimp and snails.

I had a emerald crab recently I had to remove because he was catching shrimp and eating them.

It seems once the Emerald crabs get over an inch shell point to point they increase what's for dinner and start eating shrimp and fish if they can catch them.

My Emerald was a model citizen until he had one molt that put him over an inch. I had two peppermint shrimp disappear as well as a Royal Gramma. SO I got a replacement for the RG. He was eating well and coming out most of the time to meet me and his tank mates all was great until the 4th morning. I found the Emerald in the sleeping place of the RG eating him. Well he instantly earned live in the sump. :hammer:

I'm convinced that no crab is a good thing to have in the reef aquarium, the only exception that I've found to this is the scarlet hermits. My blue legged hermits live with the Emerald crab in the sump they murdered just for the fun of it. :hammer:

anbosu
10/07/2015, 08:33 AM
Well I thought I would update this.

I've managed to pull all but two that I can see out with a pair of tweezers and reflexes. Two of the ones I pulled out were pretty good size. About the size of my thumbnail. Big enough to hurt something. I also managed to find a couple more whelks.

I will say....speaking of bobbits...

As I was picking a piece of rock up, something that resembled a centipede ran out of a hole in the rock and tagged my finger. It wasn't huge, but it was a pretty good bite for something so small.

Will bobbits attack your hand?...cause that didn't look like any bristle worm I've ever seen.

It sounds like a bobbitt. The one I had never bit me, but it would dart out from under the rocks quickly to grab food. It'll get big pretty quickly.

Bent
10/07/2015, 08:47 AM
It sounds like a bobbitt. The one I had never bit me, but it would dart out from under the rocks quickly to grab food. It'll get big pretty quickly.

Greeeeeeaat.

It was lightning fast, just happened to glimpse it before it lit me up.

toothybugs
10/07/2015, 10:00 AM
Greeeeeeaat.

It was lightning fast, just happened to glimpse it before it lit me up.

Don't kill it - I'll happily take it if you want it gone :D

Bent
10/07/2015, 10:26 AM

Sure man. I don't like killing stuff anyway. If I happen to catch it, then it's all yours!

spieszak
10/07/2015, 10:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, why would you want a bobbit worm?

Bent
10/07/2015, 11:55 AM
why not? They are really cool. If I had a tank to dedicate to one, Id have one.

toothybugs
10/07/2015, 12:23 PM
Which, currently, I do.

Somebody on YouTube has a video of them feeding a bobbit they named Smaug. Wickedly cool.

RGS2
10/07/2015, 12:34 PM

Good luck,

Mike

P.S. Death to the crabs!

110% agreed! Based on several threads recently trying to remove tons of gorilla crabs and other pests, I woundn't go near this kind of live rock.

spieszak
10/07/2015, 12:38 PM
Ah, ok... since they hide 99% of the time, it didn't just occur to me.

Bent
10/08/2015, 08:06 AM
110% agreed! Based on several threads recently trying to remove tons of gorilla crabs and other pests, I woundn't go near this kind of live rock.

It's def a trade off. There is currently all kinds of stuff in my tank I would never have otherwise had I used dry rock.

It's like I've always maintained though, if you are looking for a tank that has only what you put in it with no volatility or surprises, then rock from the ocean isn't for you.

If your looking to build an ecosystem (with everything that comes with it) and you don't mind playing the part of "night time predator" to keep potential pest populations from exploding, then by all means, get some ocean rock. Because really there is no other way to get such a large amount of micro and macro fauna. But, again, it is a trade off. Just know what your getting into before you buy it.

Bent
10/08/2015, 08:07 AM
Which, currently, I do.

Somebody on YouTube has a video of them feeding a bobbit they named Smaug. Wickedly cool.

Want. Want real bad. Especially one of the big aphroditis worms.

FOUND!
http://youtu.be/7fukLzoyOxs

Edit:

I have a couple questions about this video. When it first starts, there is a small centipede looking thing on the rock on the left. That looks exactly like something that bit my finger the other day. What is that?

Secondly, what are the large shrimp looking things scurrying around? I have a few of those as well.

spieszak
10/08/2015, 08:19 AM
If your looking to build an ecosystem (with everything that comes with it) and you don't mind playing the part of "night time predator" to keep potential pest populations from exploding, then by all means, get some ocean rock. Because really there is no other way to get such a large amount of micro and macro fauna. But, again, it is a trade off. Just know what your getting into before you buy it.

You don't give any credence to the theory that the dominate organisms are going to win anyway, so that overtime, your ocean rock becomes "tank rock" just like the folks that start with dry?

Bent
10/08/2015, 08:29 AM
You don't give any credence to the theory that the dominate organisms are going to win anyway, so that overtime, your ocean rock becomes "tank rock" just like the folks that start with dry?

No I don't really. I have no scientific data to refute it off hand, but there are more things on ocean rock than just what you can see with the naked eye that you just can't get from dry rock. Do you need it to be successful? Heck no, but biodiversity is really just personal preference. True biodiversity is....really kind of a pain because of the amount of volatility it creates. To me though, it fit my goals of making an "Easter egg tank" with lots of tiny organisms rather than small amounts of large ones.

Dkuhlmann
10/08/2015, 09:46 AM
Hey Ben all of those gorilla crabs and other unwanteds are food for the usual mantis shrimp that comes along with the Gulf lr. :D

spieszak
10/08/2015, 09:55 AM
I went back and forth on TBS rock or similar when I set my 180 up... made the same argument you just made to myself. I couldn't get past the idea that I didn't really think that diversity could be maintained in a closed system, survival of the strongest and all. How long have you had the rock/tank set up? Be interested to see where you are on that "argument" a few years in once its settled in and all. (not because I think I'm right and your wrong, or that I think one way is better than the other... flat words on a page, no smart alec judgy stuff intended)

Bent
10/08/2015, 10:32 AM
I went back and forth on TBS rock or similar when I set my 180 up... made the same argument you just made to myself. I couldn't get past the idea that I didn't really think that diversity could be maintained in a closed system, survival of the strongest and all. How long have you had the rock/tank set up? Be interested to see where you are on that "argument" a few years in once its settled in and all. (not because I think I'm right and your wrong, or that I think one way is better than the other... flat words on a page, no smart alec judgy stuff intended)

Lol smart Alec judgy stuff?

I've only been up and running going on 3 months now, so I'm curious to see how time treats me as well, and how much of that biodiversity is left.

figuerres
10/08/2015, 01:49 PM

well from about 2002 till about 2009 I had tanks with tbs rock, when I had to sell the system it had loads of pods in the sand and in the refuge, and in the rocks.
I also had shrimps, several kinds, and worms several kinds and tunicates , cub coral, star coral anemones, gorgonians and other stuff.
yes I lost some part of the stock over time but not that much really. if I had the same rock today that I got back then I would not lose some things as I now know more about what I had that back then I did not really understand.

that's my exp. with gulf rock over time.... YMMV

ReefWreak
10/08/2015, 02:30 PM
I have a couple questions about this video. When it first starts, there is a small centipede looking thing on the rock on the left. That looks exactly like something that bit my finger the other day. What is that?

Secondly, what are the large shrimp looking things scurrying around? I have a few of those as well.

First, that worm is gross.

Second, your first question, that's a simple bristle worm. It probably didn't bite, but you may have gotten it's sharp bristles stuck in your fingers, like fiberglass almost. You can pull them out if you're careful and use a bright light. Annoying things, but important detritus eaters IMO. Some people say they eat corals, but I've never seen it, though they will eat dieing/dead coral flesh.

Second part were amphipods. Copepods are tinier, but both are important parts of our tanks' natural flora and fauna (mostly fauna I suppose).

spieszak
10/09/2015, 09:00 AM
well from about 2002 till about 2009 I had tanks with tbs rock, when I had to sell the system it had loads of pods in the sand and in the refuge, and in the rocks.
I also had shrimps, several kinds, and worms several kinds and tunicates , cub coral, star coral anemones, gorgonians and other stuff.
yes I lost some part of the stock over time but not that much really. if I had the same rock today that I got back then I would not lose some things as I now know more about what I had that back then I did not really understand.

that's my exp. with gulf rock over time.... YMMV

Knowing this I would have probably still wavered on doing so in the 180, since that would be a crap ton of rock and lots of space, but if I set up something smaller in the future, I might take a shot at it. Thanks for sharing

Mrs. Music
10/09/2015, 12:12 PM
Mantis shrimp is more likely I believe.

Bent
12/22/2015, 10:40 PM
Figured I would update this thread.

I'm slowly winning the gorilla war. (See what I did thar?)

I've slowly and surely been picking them off, with tweezers of all the things. I spot one at night, plunge the tweezers at them and grab them. Sometimes I grab the carapace and sometimes a claw. Either case is a win. Either the claw comes off and that's one claw that's not going to be chopping the head off something, or I actually grab the carapace and and throw it in the sump to roll the dice of life with the now gigantic stone crab I've nicknamed "grumpy".

Tonight the glue on the bottom of my sinularia decided to come off and I had to do some rearranging to get it wedged. Since I was moving rock around I decided to pull some rock out and do some serious gorilla hunting.

Tonight's score is Ben 3. Crabs 1.

Two of them were pretty small, and one was pretty decent sized. Though again tonight, the huge gorilla I have dubbed "Lefty" has thwarted me. He is named Lefty because back a few months ago, I managed to get hold of his right, giant, coral crushing claw and he left me holding it. Since he has been spotted with only his left claw. Hence, lefty.

He did not escape unscathed however, I managed to stalk him under one of the rocks, plunge the tweezers at him, and I came up with the other claw.

So I guess we should now call him "no-ey" since he has no claws and poses no danger to anything.............For now.

Touché Lefty. Touché. We will meet again.

Tweaked
12/23/2015, 06:14 AM
The comments on getting critters and life you never would have otherwise are just false. Most of us started with dry base rock and the likes. Years later I have tons of life, pods, macros, acro crabs, etc etc. I only say this because for anyone reading, there are better ways to get the diversity you seek without all of the non reef safe critters and predators.

saf1
12/23/2015, 08:52 AM
The comments on getting critters and life you never would have otherwise are just false. Most of us started with dry base rock and the likes. Years later I have tons of life, pods, macros, acro crabs, etc etc. I only say this because for anyone reading, there are better ways to get the diversity you seek without all of the non reef safe critters and predators.

I wouldn't say false, but you do raise another option in some ways may be safer for some hobbyist. Nothing wrong with that. Personally speaking, I went the route of cycling a tank over months with nothing but water, then substrate, then dead shrimp, then live rock back when it came directly from Fiji, then a single fish, etc. I don't think my tank was ready for much of anything for the first year it seemed but I was amazed at all the natural life that came about that process. To include a few unwanted crabs.

Yes, other ways. Better? That is subjective.

Tweaked
12/23/2015, 08:56 AM
I just wouldn't want to be ripping a part a reef while I was trying to get it established. And if your setting up a large tank, it would be a massive headache chasing down crabs, mantis shrimp, pistols, and bobbit worms to name a few.

Bent
12/23/2015, 09:25 AM
There's more than one way to have a functional reef.

Your opinion is your opinion, and I do enjoy hearing it, but personally I did the sterile/ non-live rock stuff for decades before any of this came available and grew tired of it.

Furthermore, even using dry rock I still had to tear a tank down d/t aptasia infestation at one point.

Plenty of people have had their share of pests who have started with base dry rock. So trying to convince people that dry rock will keep the bogey man away is just false. Pests have taken many a reef tank out well before the live rock culturing phase started and will persist even if that phase goes away.

So anyway, plenty of nice reefs are made with both options, so neither one is more correct than the other. Just know what you are getting into ahead of time.

Sk8r
12/23/2015, 09:36 AM
I've set up three times with new live rock over the last 10 years (house moves and tank size increase) and have never had anything of the real pests. Asterinas, no sweat: I have lps. And aiptasia. A few now defunct hydroids. Caulerpa got to be a sweat because I didn't know what it was. Mmm. Now if it appears it gets offed. That's it.

The way to remove a 'bad patch' from a rock, ie, an unwanted algae or hydroids or the like: remove the rock, immerse that particular part of the rock in hydrogen peroxide straight from the drugstore bottle for 3 minutes, followed by a rinse in discard tank water, replace in tank with 'bad' side down. This would probably work as a total immersion technique in the case of a hitchhiker in the rock, leaving the bacteria inside the rock ok. It will bubble like mad when reintroduced, so do not put it near a coral.

Hitch08
12/23/2015, 10:08 AM
I also got live rock from TBS. I'm very happy with it. I also ended up with a lot less gorilla crabs than Ben. I pulled off a few prior to adding the rock. I also grabbed a couple since then. I think I have two more in there. They are very small.

Other than that, I ended up with a lot of very cool stuff. I would definitely do it again.

water is wet
12/23/2015, 10:31 AM
Why is it that this rock has so many of these buggers? 6 rocks and I've pulled about 3 gorilla crabs and still have a few to go as well as a couple of stone crabs. I've bought 3x as much rock from another source that does something similar shipping air cargo only with the difference being they don't ship in water but still overnight with very little die off and probably has just as much if not more life on it and not nearly this many major pests.

Maybe the location the rock is being placed is the problem?

deweyhowell
12/23/2015, 10:41 AM
There's more than one way to have a functional reef.

So anyway, plenty of nice reefs are made with both options, so neither one is more correct than the other. Just know what you are getting into ahead of time.

I agree. I have ordered from TBS a few times and have been very happy with the purchases. Are there critters that I have to remove? Yes, but I really enjoy the discovery and trapping. I get the sense from Ben's posts that he, too, enjoys the thrill of the hunt :)

BTW, I will be in for quite a ride in the next few months as I am about to place a large TBS order to fill up my new system that includes a 180 gal display, 75 gal refugium/pest tank + sump. I should have lots of places to banish the bad boys. So if anyone wants a mantis shrimp, gorilla or stone crabs - let me know. I should have some extras :)

Bent
12/23/2015, 12:24 PM
I agree. I have ordered from TBS a few times and have been very happy with the purchases. Are there critters that I have to remove? Yes, but I really enjoy the discovery and trapping. I get the sense from Ben's posts that he, too, enjoys the thrill of the hunt :)

BTW, I will be in for quite a ride in the next few months as I am about to place a large TBS order to fill up my new system that includes a 180 gal display, 75 gal refugium/pest tank + sump. I should have lots of places to banish the bad boys. So if anyone wants a mantis shrimp, gorilla or stone crabs - let me know. I should have some extras :)

Very true.

I enjoy stuff that makes me do more than look at my tank. I'm a fidgety dude, what can I say?

saf1
12/23/2015, 12:47 PM
Lol - it is like a "mini-game" of sorts. All the excitement of setting up the system then additional fun of playing hide 'n' seek and laying traps for the unwanted freebies :)

Almost like a food chain in your house. Set up the tank proper. Then order substrate and rocks. Let the dust settle then you take a look. Another look with no lights. Morning, noon, and night. Significant other is thinking you are going bonkers while you try and explain. Set a few traps, reach and grab a few others. Some still outsmart you. Then you think hmm...what eats crabs or unwanted snails. Oh, this eel or fish. Rush out and buy that, and it does its job. Now thinking to self, hmm...what eats the eel because I can't get it out - or how to catch this fish. That is ok, I'll just buy a "BIGGER" fish or specific animal that is its better - lol.

Endless cycle :) Never the less I'll be ordering from TBS after my new tank arrives. Too much fun, good or bad creature aside, to pass up. Plus it seems he has one hell of a fun job going scuba diving to plant, place, and pick up stuff. Who can't support that?

Hitch08
12/23/2015, 12:54 PM
Very true.

I enjoy stuff that makes me do more than look at my tank. I'm a fidgety dude, what can I say?

HA! I was going to say that in my prior post, but I didn't want it to be taken the wrong way.

:lmao::lmao:

Bent
12/23/2015, 01:14 PM
HA! I was going to say that in my prior post, but I didn't want it to be taken the wrong way.

:lmao::lmao:

Lol I'm not typically easily offended.

Bent
01/07/2016, 12:09 AM
Well I got hold of a pretty good size one that I caught hanging out under my worm brain. I grabbed him in my hand so he pinched me pretty good, but he's out of there and thrown in with grumpy crab in the sump for nature to have its way.

So far that's 9 I think, all relocated to the sump.

Now, I have now just "No-ey" left to go.

deweyhowell
01/07/2016, 07:49 AM
No-ey is still alive ?? I didn't think he would last long... How is he eating? With his toes? Do crabs have toes?

deweyhowell
01/07/2016, 07:55 AM
Also, maybe you could call him Pancho

"All the Federales say, they could've had him any day
They only let him slip away out of kindness I suppose"

Devaji108
01/07/2016, 12:12 PM
well I am about to start my adventure...just ordered 40 # finally....
tank is in my bedroom so crabs gotta go. if I have to spend a few days hunting so be it...

Shanzao
01/07/2016, 12:48 PM
A piece of dowel rode and a needle worked for me.

Johnseye
08/08/2016, 11:07 AM
Well I got hold of a pretty good size one that I caught hanging out under my worm brain. I grabbed him in my hand so he pinched me pretty good, but he's out of there and thrown in with grumpy crab in the sump for nature to have its way.

So far that's 9 I think, all relocated to the sump.

Now, I have now just "No-ey" left to go.

How's your hunting going Ben? Everything out that you want out? Did you just pick em out by hand or were any other tactics used?

Bent
08/08/2016, 03:17 PM
How's your hunting going Ben? Everything out that you want out? Did you just pick em out by hand or were any other tactics used?

Everyone seems to be out, I have one more in the display that has ducked me so far, and one last in the refugium that I need to try for. All in all after these two are gone, that will be 27 total. :eek:

I got them out one at a time with a pair of tweezers by hunting every night or so.

The next time I will be much more cautious about inspecting each rock. I also dug out a huge polyclad flatworm at some point.

Johnseye
08/08/2016, 03:27 PM
Everyone seems to be out, I have one more in the display that has ducked me so far, and one last in the refugium that I need to try for. All in all after these two are gone, that will be 27 total. :eek:

I got them out one at a time with a pair of tweezers by hunting every night or so.

The next time I will be much more cautious about inspecting each rock. I also dug out a huge polyclad flatworm at some point.

All through poking around or did you pull rock out and pour or soak it in something?

Bent
08/08/2016, 03:37 PM
All through poking around or did you pull rock out and pour or soak it in something?

Mostly just by reaching into the tank for them, but when I had the accident and had to switch tanks, it was a good opportunity to inspect each rock again.

g_langley
08/09/2016, 08:40 AM
There is currently all kinds of stuff in my tank I would never have otherwise had I used dry rock.

+1

I love the natural look and evolving nature of Live Rock and it's not all bad with the odd dodgy hitcher, you get some nice things as well.

The instantly aesthetic man-made structures, which seem to be more prevalent these days, are sterile looking in the tank, even with a bit of coralline growth - no real thought to caves or hiding places.