PDA

View Full Version : Mojanos

Oldude
09/21/2015, 10:43 PM
I have a major infestation of mojanos and am looking to find a fish that will eat these things. Anyone have any recommendations? If I can't resolve this with fish I will be forced to tear my tank apart and start over which I really don't want to do. Ain't nobody got time for that!

shifty51008
09/22/2015, 12:13 AM
What size tank? If you put a fish in there to eat your manjo's then remember that they will also eat your other corals. I dont know of any fish that will only eat manjo's without eating other corals

Taahirs
09/22/2015, 01:34 AM
Agree. The two common fish used to combat aiptasia are copperband butterflies and filefish. Both aren't 100% reef safe.

Ron Reefman
09/22/2015, 03:37 AM
A number of butterfly fish will eat anemones, most are easier to keep than a copperbanded. I had a doublesaddleback that ate all my aiptasia in a week or two. Then it ate all the majanos. For the next 4-5 months it ate frozen and flake food. Then one day it started eatting my lps. I'd put the coral it was eatting and the next day it would go after some other lps. I ended up having to pull the fish out of the tank.

johnike
09/22/2015, 04:00 AM
Raccoon Butterfly.
I promise you.
;)
:)

Sapelo
09/22/2015, 04:31 AM
Filefish.

Oldude
09/22/2015, 09:49 AM
What size tank? If you put a fish in there to eat your manjo's then remember that they will also eat your other corals. I dont know of any fish that will only eat manjo's without eating other corals
My tank is 400 gallons.
Agree. The two common fish used to combat aiptasia are copperband butterflies and filefish. Both aren't 100% reef safe.
I have a file fish in there now and it won't touch them.

A number of butterfly fish will eat anemones, most are easier to keep than a copperbanded. I had a doublesaddleback that ate all my aiptasia in a week or two. Then it ate all the majanos. For the next 4-5 months it ate frozen and flake food. Then one day it started eatting my lps. I'd put the coral it was eatting and the next day it would go after some other lps. I ended up having to pull the fish out of the tank.
I'm to the point where I if I lost a few corals but got rid of the mojanos it would be worth it. That said I can move many of my LPS into my prop system if needed.
Raccoon Butterfly.
I promise you.
;)
I will try that thanks.

Filefish.
In my experience most fish are hit & miss. The one I have figures it's not his job and won't touch them. I guess it must be a "union" filefish. ;)

ca1ore
09/22/2015, 10:06 AM
Beyond that already suggested, I have had success a couple of times with an Asfur Angel. Ate majanos, aptasia but also zooanthids; though left SPS, LPS and clams alone.

Buzz1329
09/22/2015, 05:33 PM
Raccoon Butterfly.
I promise you.
;)

So is that for majanos as well as aiptasias?

And they won't eat coral after they polish off pests?

Do you offer a money back guarantee? :lolspin:

Thanks,

Mike

johnike
09/22/2015, 06:55 PM
So is that for majanos as well as aiptasias?

And they won't eat coral after they polish off pests?

Do you offer a money back guarantee? :lolspin:

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, yes, and yes.
Majanos and Aiptasia go first, then goodbye corals.
I promise you.
;)

Buzz1329
09/23/2015, 06:03 PM
Yes, yes, and yes.
"Majanos and Aiptasia go first, then goodbye corals.
I promise you."

Thanks johnike,

Dang, I knew there was a catch. (Ha)

Regards,

Mike

steallife904
09/23/2015, 06:18 PM
Berghia nudibranch. That's all they eat

Dkuhlmann
09/23/2015, 07:17 PM

We have a winner!!!! Then they die when there is no more food :eek:

amcvay1979
09/24/2015, 08:46 AM
Red Sea Aiptaisia X is liquid gold. One treatment. All gone, 10 bucks. Way better than adding a specific animal to wipe out your infestation then goes on a coral eating binge or starves to death and poisons your tank. Try this first, if that fails, get a nudibranch and then give it to someone else when your aiptasias are all gone.

RA
09/24/2015, 08:58 AM

They will eat aptasia, I don't believe they will touch your majano's.

hkgar
09/24/2015, 01:24 PM
My Matted Filefish did the job for me, and I had tried everything before. He has been around more than a year since the last seen Majano and only eats Nori and some meaty food.