PDA

View Full Version : zombie corals: the ones that rise from the dead.

Sk8r
09/22/2015, 01:35 PM
Had a stony coral die down to bare white skeleton? Don't be too quick to consign it to the bin. Keep it in your tank.

Some corals then bloom forth from the skeleton: plate can do this. So can maze brain. Euphyllias can do it at either end of the transaction: a popped head, confined in a shallow dish so it can't float off into the downflow slots or die sunless under a rock---can grow a whole new skeleton. Popping heads is just another means of reproduction---so if a coral is stressed it has a chance of finding a better place. The abandoned skeleton will also grow buds from the sides of branches. These can become whole new branches, given time and calcium.

Pocillopora is good at casting forth bits that become new corals. Montiporas break if you look at them crosswise, and every bit can become a new coral---feature this as bumped by a fish and showering bits all down the face of the reef.

Just improve your water, and kind of hold out hope. Won't always work, but does sometimes.

Sinocard
09/22/2015, 03:13 PM
Gives me atleast some hope for my hammer.... SG dipped mysteriously low (It's a 10 gallon... So....)

and after the SG dip my hammer started to melt :(

really hope it can recover.

swhobbie1
09/22/2015, 06:34 PM
I had a coral I bought online ... 1 polyp left on it, rest dead skeleton. Now it is 3x3 inches and still growing. Had to beat back GHA trying to grow and kill it several times by putting glue on it to keep it back from the 1 polyp.

theMatrix
09/22/2015, 07:23 PM
My hammer went into goo drip mode and jus went to skeleton...wasnt sure if it was expeling itself or died. But made my skimmer go nuts so i tossed it before it continued to cause detrious and goo everywhere

Sk8r
09/22/2015, 08:12 PM
Check your alkalinity. s/b about 8.3.

nuxx
09/23/2015, 10:39 AM
Our strawberry shortcake nuked (new frag tank) and I've leaving it in there.

Seen a ton of SPS come back from the dead. Had a bunch wiped out in the display as well, now 9 out of 10 white pieces are coming back from the dead after the water parameter issues were corrected.

Sk8r
09/23/2015, 10:58 AM
Absolutely: correcting those water parameters...gives them a chance.

nuxx
09/23/2015, 11:06 AM
Absolutely: correcting those water parameters...gives them a chance.

Might be my head, but I think I see the Strawberry Shortcake turning a little pink...

Would think by now it would be turning green/brown.

Here's what it looked like about a week ago:

RBVoJO5mgAo

Kworker
09/23/2015, 11:10 AM
I've had a hammer and acan do it.

theMatrix
09/23/2015, 06:57 PM
I've had a hammer and acan do it.

I miss my hammer.

Was too quick to toss. The flesh just melted off

chefbill
09/24/2015, 08:24 AM
to add a photo element to your thread...