PDA

View Full Version : Dead Mexican super turbo

therevillipad
09/22/2015, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could help me with a little advice or experience.

My oh and I are right at the beginning of our marine aquarium journey, but unfortunately in the last 4 days both our super Mexican turbo snails have died.

Let me give you a little background. We have the EA reef 600. It's a 148l display tank. We set up with Fiji live rock and cycled for 11 days... And did regular water tests. We never had and ammonia or nitrite readings really. We had a bit of an algae growth so out lfs suggested we were ready for some cuc.

We added 3 hermits and the two Mexican turbos. They all set about cleaning the Rock and all seemed well. We didn't do any water changes during this time, leaving them to do their job. We did clean the glass.

By day 20 they both slowed right down. They weren't really moving but to be honest the whole time they staying in one place for a day then shot off to clean so I assumed they were resting.

On day 22 we did a 10% water change and added a cleaner shrimp and 2 small black clowns.

Day 23 we did our water tests and all seemed stable.

Tonight the snails still hadn't moved and we brought them out the tank to investigate and they were both dead. Weirdly the crabs didn't go near the dead bodies. Btw tonight is day 25.

Any one got any ideas what this might be.

Here are the levels we are getting:
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 15-18
Ph 8.2
Kh 7
Salinity 1.024

We've not tested for phosphates as the lfs said not to worry, but we are going to get a test kit at the weekend.

TIA. :)

oldbones
09/22/2015, 01:41 PM
What were the snails eating during those 25 days? Any visible algae?