PDA

View Full Version : Artemia as training food for adult?

cheeseballs
09/22/2015, 10:01 PM
Will an adult H. erectus eat baby brine shrimp, or gutloaded adult brine shrimp?

While artemia isn't a natural food source for seahorses, I'm wondering if I can use it as a training food item to get them to eat frozen. I've read a lot of posts that say baby H. erectus will eat BBS, but I haven't read anything on adult H. erectus.

rayjay
09/22/2015, 10:43 PM
I've never had an adult seahorse other than a dwarf eat baby brine shrimp.
I grow out the brine until they are large enough to feed to the adults and then enrich them with Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com before feeding to the adult seahorses.
From your other post, it may take some time to get the seahorse to eat frozen as long as there is still an abundance of live food in the tank.
If it was feeding on frozen mysis at the store, it will again as live food supply runs out but if there is a problem, adding live mysid, mysis or ghost shrimp can help in the return transition to frozen, gradually adding more frozen and reducing the amount of live.
I don't know of anywhere other than seahorsesource.com selling the live food there as I live in Canada where it's next to impossible to get anything here and that's why I grow the artemia.