PDA

View Full Version : How many halides for a 8'x5'x3' reef

Lubeck
09/22/2015, 10:32 PM
For a mixed reef tank that favors sps do you think 3-400 watt halides with the "right reflectors" would be adequate for an 8x5x3 reef? What would be the best reflectors for this size?

C3hutson
09/22/2015, 11:38 PM
4 lumenbrights IMO... you'll be able to mount them high and still get good penetration..

tkeracer619
09/23/2015, 12:00 AM
3' High?

No way lumenbrights will cover a 5' front to back regardless of how high you place them. What are your intentions on coral placement and how is the rock going to be laid out?

Lubeck
09/23/2015, 12:09 AM
Yes 3' high. The scape would most likely be pillars or bonsai maybe have an arc in there. I figure I would supplement with vho's (not sure how clean that would look) or leds like kessils

tkeracer619
09/23/2015, 12:14 AM
I'd probably sup with t5. Better bulb choices and if you really want led I would go with something custom. If you have a local source that stocks vho then the super actinic is the way to go, though, they are getting very hard to come across.

Do you plan on any high light corals on the sand?

Anything you do will likely need to be retrofit so you can def make it look good with some craftiness.

I would go with these reflectors. You will have to determine mounting height based on testing. You will want to raise them as high as you can without spilling light over the side, do this carefully with the lights in the room off and just the single halide. It becomes obvious where they should be when you do this
http://hamiltontechnology.com/item/Cabo-Sun--Large-Mogul-Base-Reflector-1980

If you go with a select-a-watt type ballast you could run radium 250w bulbs in hqi mode until the sps starts to grow in and then switch to 400w bulbs or if you really want to light it up go with a magnetic hqi ballast and radium 400w bulbs. You would unfortunatly need to change bulbs twice a year with the latter route but it will be an impressive lighting setup. I don't know off the top of my head who stocks the hqi 400w ballasts but if you want to go that route I can get you in touch with someone who does.

Lubeck
09/23/2015, 12:24 AM
I want the sand to be empty no corals, not one. (Clams don't count as coral). Your right about the vho. I went on three sites and all sold out. Any idea on what reflector? I want to go with radiums. I figure if I can stay under 4 MH bulbs, 3 would be great, it wouldn't be any difference in wattage if I did t5/led fixture(s). Not to mention radiums are (dare I say) the best with proven results.

I'm open to any suggestions?

tkeracer619
09/23/2015, 12:25 AM
Refresh and check the post above again, I updated.

Lubeck
09/23/2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. I want to go with the 400 watt. Do you think I could get away with 3 reflectors with supplimental lighting? Or would I need 4? I like the idea of overdriving the bulb but thought the eballast was the way to go?

tkeracer619
09/23/2015, 01:01 AM
You're welcome.

The 400w eballast still won't drive a radium 400w like the old school sps reefers did/do with the pfo hqi ballasts that are no longer available. That setup is golden but the bulbs will wear out in 6-8 months.

I'll ask a friend to chime in with where he gets his 400w hqi ballasts. They use the same components the pfo ballasts did.

You could always start out with 3 and see how that gets you. You may pull it off especially with the right sup. You can always add a 4th down the road.

shifty51008
09/23/2015, 01:08 AM
The most your gonna probably get with a good reflector is about 3' sq area, so you could do 3 mh's and as stated suppliment with t5's for the extra front and back sections.

Zacktosterone
09/23/2015, 08:01 AM
i would do 6 250 watts over the tank.... 3 feet should be fine for 250watt. the 8 feet is kind of wild.... same with the 5ft front to back.