PDA

View Full Version : Adding sailfin Tang

Dbondaruk
09/23/2015, 08:21 PM
thought i would post here since before bu tread is closed for a week... i have a 190 gallon tank. current fish list

Purple Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Magnificent Foxface
Damsel blue
Picasso clowns +2
Longnoose butterfly

fish have been in the tank for over 6 months so well homed.. i want to start restocking it again. i am looking into getting a chevron tang or a sailfin tang. i know the sailfin is a zebrosa and will it give problems wit my purple tang? As of now the PBT is the boss of the tank...also if a sailfin which one? the reg or the desagrin one

thegrun
09/23/2015, 10:39 PM
Well IMHO the Sailfin is a no go, your tank is too small. With the BPT and the PT established, I just don't see that pair welcoming a Chevron Tang to the party. It's rare for either a PBT or a PT to get along with another tang of similar body shape.

Sapelo
09/24/2015, 04:32 AM
I agree with thegrun, I don't foresee two zebrasoma coexisting peacefully in your tank long term. I don't think it really matters if you add a regular sailfin or a Desjardini, the body type is just too similar to your PT for it to work, especially if you're adding to an already established group of tangs. Sorry.

ca1ore
09/24/2015, 07:54 AM
You certainly can have multiple zebrasomas in one tank, but only if there is adequate space - and a 190 is too small, I agree. Particularly for a sailfin that can get very large. I have a purple, yellow and desjardini in my 265, and even that is a push. Salifin largely just does his own thing, but the purple and yellow are always mixing it up. Not lethally so, but consistently so. Adding a chevron is a possibility, though you should be prepared for it to get a really hard time. Having it 'conditioned' in QT and using a socialization box would be mandatory IMO.