PDA

View Full Version : Will homeowner insurance cover corals?

Dragonvale
09/24/2015, 01:14 AM
There has been a large amount of fires up here in northern CA. 3 of members of our club started talking about what's covered in regards to an individuals insurance? I thought I had an adjuster tell me just all equipment and tank would be covered. So no corals.

So the three of us started thinking what happens if you can show pictures and payments for the corals that were lost? Everyone has paypal or you can go through your account statements.

Can someone set me straight on what's covered? Or the main question will the corals be covered along with all live items.

Thanks

shifty51008
09/24/2015, 01:22 AM
Youll have to talk to your insurance company as each is different. Ours though will only cover the tank and equipment. Live animals are not covered, at least fish wise. Also even if they do cover it(and it may cost extra) they probably wont cover the cost of coral growth, so if you bought a 1" frag for $100 and it has grown to 8" they may only cover the cost of what you paid for it not what it's worth at 8"

Dragonvale
09/24/2015, 01:44 AM
Youll have to talk to your insurance company as each is different. Ours though will only cover the tank and equipment. Live animals are not covered, at least fish wise. Also even if they do cover it(and it may cost extra) they probably wont cover the cost of coral growth, so if you bought a 1" frag for $100 and it has grown to 8" they may only cover the cost of what you paid for it not what it's worth at 8"

I can understand the coral growth portion. I just thought if an individual can prove with receipts of the corals purchased, why wouldn't an insurance company cover the lost items. Again like you pointed out maybe one has to pay more for an uncommon insurance coverage.

borg
09/24/2015, 02:09 AM
most your household policies will exclude livestock or animals , purely because otherwise people would be claiming all sorts of nonsense , like my 2,000 acro just bleached during a power surge type stuff and its not measurable from a insurance risk prospective.

That being said some underwriters are a bit stupid and haven't discovered that coral is a living organism and if they fail that understanding and class it as ornamental you could potentially claim .. only gotten away with that once or twice and the reef industry is way smaller here in AUS than the US.

However heres a tip.. make sure you have AD (accidental damage) policy its not the cheap one ! if you dont you gonna be severely limited to what you claim on your equipment side of things

:P