PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tops on Reef Tank?

AUFishGuy
09/24/2015, 10:35 AM
So lately have noticed quite a few reefers mentioning they have glass tops on their tanks. Is this common practice? I was under the impression reef tanks were supposed to be ran without tops for purposes of oxygenating the water and glass reflecting some of the light for the coral? I also figured you would be cleaning the glass of salt creep every few days?

Dmorty217
09/24/2015, 11:08 AM
So lately have noticed quite a few reefers mentioning they have glass tops on their tanks. Is this common practice? I was under the impression reef tanks were supposed to be ran without tops for purposes of oxygenating the water and glass reflecting some of the light for the coral? I also figured you would be cleaning the glass of salt creep every few days?

I think you will find most don't use tops for all the reasons you mentioned. Some may do it, but the majority don't

alton
09/24/2015, 11:41 AM
Three of my four tanks have glass tops, it is nice not having to add top off water all the time. If I go 100% LED on my 300 it will have glass tops. The only thing stopping me is heat. I was able to control my AC in my old office and this tank had 2 x 250w and 1 175w MH with glass tops

AUFishGuy
09/24/2015, 12:31 PM
I think you will find most don't use tops for all the reasons you mentioned. Some may do it, but the majority don't

I see. I may have been seeing this as i have been reading up on getting a wrasse. I guess if Im going to get one i will need to get tops. Im not worried about oxygen in the water, I feel like a skimmer does a good job of that. I just really dont want to have to clean them all the time.

j0tca
09/24/2015, 12:57 PM
Gas exchange is mostly a non issue for tanks the days as the exchange that happens in the skimmer is more than sufficient.

I don't like glass tops because they exaggerate salt creep around the unsealed edges.

hkgar
09/24/2015, 01:15 PM
You can go no top, but will probably change you mind after your first fish goes carpet surfing. I have a canopy and have made screen tops

sde1500
09/24/2015, 01:17 PM
I use a glass top on my current tank to discourage my cats from going fishing. I'll be switching to a screen top on the new tank because the amount of salt creep on the glass top is insane.

AUFishGuy
09/24/2015, 01:28 PM
You can go no top, but will probably change you mind after your first fish goes carpet surfing. I have a canopy and have made screen tops

I also have a canopy. Did you make your own screen top or are these available for purchase. Do they open in the same way as the glass tops. I really want a flasher wrass

reefer roman
09/24/2015, 01:29 PM
I went to screen tops because I was getting lots of condensation forming under the lids

Sk8r
09/24/2015, 01:31 PM
I have a complete glass top with Radion lights. The sump, however, is open-top in a very well ventilated area, so I still get a gallon a day evaporation.

wpeterson
09/24/2015, 01:47 PM
I ran glass tops initially, but the mess, salt creep and lack of gas exchange were a drag.

I've been running clear mesh screen lids for years now and much happier. You should too.

hkgar
09/24/2015, 01:54 PM
I also have a canopy. Did you make your own screen top or are these available for purchase. Do they open in the same way as the glass tops. I really want a flasher wrass

I bought a screen framing kit (parts) at Lowes and the screen 1/4 in mesh from BRS

Not trying to plug a vendor but this is the link to the product. They also have a full kit.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

Silly clownfish
09/24/2015, 07:23 PM
I have always used glass. I think the amount pf salt creep is related to surface agitation. I don't have much of an issue with it in my 75 g. The 30 needs to be wiped a couple times a week. I like keeping the evaporation limited and personally prefer the look of glass better than screen.

Dkuhlmann
09/25/2015, 05:03 AM
For my last tank I built a screen with the clear screen, it was ok but didnt really like it much. I'm trying to decide on a top for my new 40b. Glass or screen, I am leaning towards glass to help cut down on evaporation