PDA

View Full Version : Eheim quick vac pro

ReefingRy
09/24/2015, 07:52 PM
Has anyone used the eheim quick vac pro? I have a new tank that is being attacked by hair algae. When I pick the hair algae out some junk gets stirred up off of the sandy gravel bottom. I am wondering if this vac will clean some of the crud out so the hair algae has less nutrients.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ryan

soulpatch
09/25/2015, 07:44 AM
I use the cheaper one from amazon and I love it. http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Cleaner-Battery-Operated-Gravel/dp/B003OYOPNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443188535&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+vac

I use it to clean portions of the sand, get any patches of cyano that popped up over a year, and suck up the algae blooms as I was picking rock clean. I also have a second one for my qt tank so I can pick up uneaten food and poop.

jmm
09/25/2015, 08:52 AM
It works better on gravel than sand. It also works better in a tank deep enough that the screen trap is under water.

I've had a couple of them, still have one but I don't use it. It fills too soon and clogs easily. It's messy and delicate (easily broken). I don't think the motor is nearly strong enough.

And I love Eheim stuff.

soulpatch
09/25/2015, 09:41 AM
I never had luck with the eheim one either and for that price you expect great things. The Mr. Toms however for $10 works pretty darn well and is well worth the price IMHO

5pacey
09/25/2015, 11:56 AM
I agree w/jmm... had one, when it works its ok, not spectacular because it doesn't have that much suction. But its ok. Problem is it gets stuck whenever gravel or sand gets sucked into the impeller, which happens a lot. So as long as the gravel is big enough to guarantee that it doesn't get sucked up, it will work relatively well assuming enough depth in the tank. But... it is fragile overall, kind a toyesh. Not worth the $60 for sure.

Problem w/GHA is that it will cover sand/gravel and bind particles, so if/when you suck it up, it will pull up the substrate w/it and block the impeller. So long as you stay away from substrate its fine, but that kind of defeats the reason of getting it to large extent.

Spacey :)

ReefingRy
09/25/2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys! I might try the mr toms.