PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf seahorse feeding

KirbyBTF
09/25/2015, 09:34 PM
Ive got a LFS that accidentally got 4 dwarf seahorses in and they want to unload them ASAP, for like 8 bucks a pop. I've been wanting to get some for a while. I have a 2.5g I can set up for them which isn't a problem. What I'm wondering is do they HAVE to be fed freshly hatched brine, or can that be substituted for something a little less time intensive. I work a hectic schedule that often has me leaving at early hours of the morning and coming home late. Is there another alternative for feeding?

rayjay
09/25/2015, 10:20 PM
Nothing less intensive I'm afraid.
In fact what I would recommend is more intensive as newly hatched brine have limited nutrition for what the dwarfs need and should be enriched before being used as food. This means after hatchout, ongrowing them for about 24 hours, and then enrich them with Dan's Feed (seahorsesource.com) preferably for two 12 hour periods with new water and new enrichment for each stage.
After the first 12 hours they will be gut loaded, but after the second 12 hour period they will ALSO be more nutritious because the nutrients will have begun to be assimilated into the tissue.

redhorse
09/28/2015, 10:59 AM
Pics????? :-)

KirbyBTF
09/28/2015, 12:07 PM
No pics lol sorry. They're babies though, barely the size of a dime.

DanU
09/29/2015, 08:14 AM
Adults can be less than the size of a dime. :)

Dan

KirbyBTF
09/29/2015, 06:22 PM
that's what I thought. Lfs said they were babies though. Hmm

redhorse
09/29/2015, 08:05 PM
Pics can help sometimes determine if it is a true dwarf or just a small other species. I purchased 50 dwarf from a dwarf only company about 25 years ago. I noticed that 4 out grew all the others and later found out they were Southern Erectus. Probably just a young dwarf.

sumer
10/13/2015, 06:56 PM
I would say baby brine shrimp would be the best choice here. It is not that hard really. I would also suggest using SELCO to enrich the BBS. I am sure it will make your seahorses very happy.

KirbyBTF
10/16/2015, 05:42 PM
I didn't end up getting them. I'm frequently gone weeks at a time and don't want to burden my wife with that.