PDA

View Full Version : Tank on second floor

Ruckus16
09/27/2015, 07:35 AM
I'm looking for some info and suggestions. I want to upgrade my tank size. I currently have a 20 gallon. The place I want to put the new tank is on a second floor above my finished basement. I have engineered I-beam joists 16" apart. The tank will sit on an outside wall perpendicular to the joists.
I guess I'm looking for examples of tank sizes people have on their second floors. I can get a steal on a 180 right now and have a 55 sitting around I was going to use as a sump.

billdogg
09/27/2015, 01:25 PM
My 120g tank with 40b sump sits pretty much in the middle of my house. It does sit perpendicular to the joists, and one of the steel I-beams is almost directly underneath. It is solid as a rock.

heathlindner25
09/27/2015, 02:49 PM
you might be pushing it with a 180 but I'll wait for the engineers to chime in,I'm sure they could answer this question better and the fact that you're near an exterior wall helps you

figuerres
09/27/2015, 03:01 PM
you might be pushing it with a 180 but I'll wait for the engineers to chime in,I'm sure they could answer this question better and the fact that you're near an exterior wall helps you

that's the thing, ask an structural engineer to take a look and give you a professional opinion.

we can guess at what load you can put on that but the best thing to do is have the guy see directly what the beams are made of how they are installed and he can do the right math to say what load the floor can handle. he may also recommend any needed changes to make it work.

heathlindner25
09/27/2015, 03:10 PM
+1 If it were me I would have an engineer look at it...luckily I know a couple..lol