PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Magus Curve 5 not skimming

aggie13reef
09/28/2015, 06:11 PM
I have been troubleshooting my skimmer and need some help. I broke it down the other day to clean it well for the first time since I have had it (~5 months). After the initial break in the skimmer worked perfectly. I had it dialed in no overflow problems etc. Well after re-assembly the skimmer will not "skim". Nothing reaches the collection cup. I thought maybe the intake hose was clogged but it was clean. I am missing something here...

icebrg5
09/28/2015, 07:13 PM
What did you clean it with?

If you gave it a vinegar bath then it will take a few days to "break in" again.

aggie13reef
09/28/2015, 07:15 PM
What did you clean it with?

If you gave it a vinegar bath then it will take a few days to "break in" again.

I just cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and let air dry for a couple hrs.

DesertReefT4r
09/28/2015, 10:01 PM
Thats normal give it a dayy or 2 and it will be skimming again.

aggie13reef
09/29/2015, 01:39 PM
Thats normal give it a dayy or 2 and it will be skimming again.

Thanks, I am going to check it after work today hopefully it is back to working order.

aggie13reef
10/11/2015, 10:27 AM
Update,
I let the skimmer run its course for a couple more days and it never got better. I checked the air line as advised by my LFS but it seems to be clean. I still have no skimmate being produced. Any other advice?

oseymour
10/11/2015, 12:14 PM
It needs to basically break in again.

I find mine to be extremely sensetive to any changes. Did you do other changes to the tank.

aggie13reef
10/12/2015, 08:50 PM
It needs to basically break in again.

I find mine to be extremely sensetive to any changes. Did you do other changes to the tank.

No other changes to the tank. I guess I will wait a couple more weeks and see what happens.

dendrite
10/13/2015, 07:05 AM
check the venturi intake and soak in vinegar and run a pin through it and make sure there are no obstructions limiting air flow as well as interfering with bubble size

CaminDFW2
10/13/2015, 07:26 AM
I will also add.. make sure nothing in stuck on your needle wheel impeller... I had a small bit of debris get in there and it stopped skimming efficiently. Now that it is "clean" you may just need to make out flow adjustments.

ghostman
10/13/2015, 07:29 AM
My curve 5 is extremely sensitive. Are you getting bubbles at all? Do you have the output tube closed down to raise the volume in the skimmer? What height is the water level in the sump? Mine is very sensitive to this, and needs to be 9" or so. Last idea, take the airline tube off the silencer and see if that helps. The silencer may be clogged or have water in it.

aggie13reef
10/25/2015, 07:37 PM
Update:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Tonight after a couple more weeks of poor performance I disassembled the skimmer for the 3rd time. This time I found a tiny amount of filamentous algae around the shaft in the pump. And also debris around the o-ring on plastic piece that covers the inside of the pump (sorry I don't know the technical names for the parts). But all in all my problem is solved. Skimmer is back in the sump. It's skimming and no longer making the noise as if it was cavitating. Thanks again for the help everyone.