PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk food!!!

Mark75
09/29/2015, 03:13 PM
I would like some advice on what I should feed my reef tank.

I currently only have a pair of Ocellaris Clowns but plan on adding a few more in the future including a Royal Gramma, Blennie/Gobie (Midas maybe?), Four Line Wrasse. This may change, but you get an idea of what I have/will have.

I would like to keep it simple as far as food but offer a variety that is healthy. Is there 2 or maybe 3 foods I could buy to cover all my fish? I don't mind feeding frozen either.

I would also really be thankful for links!!:lol2:

nuxx
09/29/2015, 03:58 PM
I'd just go with Rod's Original and Mysis for meaty frozen foods.

Also Formula 1 and 2 flakes are good as are spectrum pellets.

Deinonych
09/29/2015, 03:58 PM
I rotate among Rod's Food (original blend + pacific plankton), LRS Reef Frenzy and Hikari mysis on a regular basis. Also keep NLS pellets (0.5mm + 1.0mm) and flakes on hand when I don't have time to defrost frozen.

Mark75
09/29/2015, 04:06 PM
I have NLS 1mm sinking pellets and the clowns will not eat them,...suck them in and spit them back out!

jraker
09/29/2015, 04:09 PM
i'd just go with rod's original and mysis for meaty frozen foods.

Also formula 1 and 2 flakes are good as are spectrum pellets.

+1

wdyork
09/29/2015, 10:01 PM
I alternate between frozen mysis, spirnula brine, nls pellets, and live black worms for a treat once a month. My clowns pig out on the NLS pellets.

brett559
09/29/2015, 11:24 PM
PE mysis and Spectrum pellets.

Ocean envy
09/30/2015, 07:12 AM
Frozen at least once a day either mysis or larrys, or tiny pieces of clam. Normally a pinch of powered coral frenzy for that fine broad spectrum hit that interests both the fish and the corals. As for pellets Formula 1+2 and Fauna Marin LPS color and grow. The pellets are mainly used for spot feeding LPS corals and Palys.

ksicard
09/30/2015, 07:29 AM
For frozen food I alternate between PE mysis and rods food original blend. I also feed NLS pellets 3x daily via auto feeder.

Pacecar83
09/30/2015, 07:42 AM
The top consumed food in my tank is mysis, pellets and krill (and BBS and copepods by dragonets but they were not on your list)

That being said, I feed the following:
Frozen Mysis, Frozen Brine, frozen krill, frozen fish eggs (all of these are thawed when fed, of course), pellets, occasional nori sheet, 2 liter hatched baby brine shrimp, ocassional bottle/tupperware cultured copepods, live phytoplankton, oyster feast (small amounts).

I've cut back/almost removed the fish eggs because they don't get consumed as rapidly as the mysis. The fish seem to prefer the mysis over frozen brine. The nori sheet is nibbled on over time. The BBS is for my dragonet feeder.

laga77
09/30/2015, 08:56 AM
For those of you pushing the NLS pellets, here is the list of ingredients of NLS pellets......0.5 mm Small Fish Formula Sinking Pellets
Ingredients: Whole Fish, Whole Antarctic Krill, Chlorella Algae, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3, Ulva Seaweed, Spirulina, Kelp, Garlic, Alfalfa, Mollusk, Fruit Extract, Vegetable Extract, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, and Manganese Sulfate.
Notice the flour, garlic,alfalfa,fruit, and vegetable. All of these should not be fed to marine fish since they cannot digest the lipids found in terrestrial plants. Do not rely on mysis as it can lose its nutritional value with poor handling in the supply chain. Your fishes diet should be made up of fresh clams, oysters, squid, shrimp, and other marine fish. Algae flakes and nori can be fed to herbivores. It is very easy to make your own food in a blender or food processor, not to mentioned cheaper. The best food for your fish is live worms. Either black worms or white worms. It has been over two years since I switched to a fresh food with worms diet and my fish, all 29 of them, are very healthy with no problems like disease, aggression or picking on corals and inverts. Do yourself and your fish a favor and get rid of the processed foods.

Ocean envy
09/30/2015, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a strong argument for a paleo fish diet!

If the ancient cave fish didn't eat it in the wild, we probably shouldn't be feeding it.

It does make sense and a very healthy tank is persuasive. Good post.

brett559
09/30/2015, 10:32 AM
It is very easy to make your own food in a blender or food processor

But the Achilles tang got so fat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5diTQ_hys

big mamma
09/30/2015, 11:52 AM
larrys reef service fish frenzy. my candy basslet and Moorish idol love this stuff the most. really keeps the color popping.

Nina51
09/30/2015, 12:33 PM
i use pretty much what everybody has mentioned, give or take. i also throw in a pea-sized piece of raw shrimp every 2 or 3 days. my wrasses LOVE it and it's great fun to watch them eat. they will take the piece of shrimp and slam it against a rock to break it into smaller pieces.

i also use selcon and vitachem every time i feed, one or the other. food gets soaked for 20 minutes before i feed.