PDA

View Full Version : heater blew and started sparking in sump

All Seas
09/30/2015, 09:25 PM
so while doing my water change tonight, i heard a loud pop under the stand and saw sparks under the water and immediately shut everything down.

I can't stop thinking what would have happened if I wasn't home? it was a year old Jager 125watt and now I don't know what to look for in a replacement

KingTriton1
09/30/2015, 09:33 PM
Aqueon Pro is a good one

jason2459
09/30/2015, 09:37 PM
I would still vote for another Jager. I replace mine every couple years. Some people say to replace any heater every year. All heaters will eventually fail. Just make sure to place in a good spot. If you ever pull the heater out while still hot is a big no no. The cords not getting crimped. The top ideally should be out of the water. The glass isn't touching other equipment or rocks. Lots of things to make sure they are setup optimally to extend their life. I think it was bean animal that had a great write up on heaters. The only style of heater I would avoid though are those that have the main element encased in plastic.

jason2459
09/30/2015, 09:39 PM
Here it is

Aquarium Heaters: What you need to know!
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

All Seas
09/30/2015, 09:57 PM
My sump only has a 9" waterline so i have to keep the heater sideways

I ran it set at 79 degrees and on an apex to turn on at 77.5, off at 80

I am thinking of trying a titanium tube instead since I have a controller

jason2459
09/30/2015, 10:07 PM
My sump only has a 9" waterline so i have to keep the heater sideways

I ran it set at 79 degrees and on an apex to turn on at 77.5, off at 80

I am thinking of trying a titanium tube instead since I have a controller

I would use the heater's thermostat as a backup at a higher temp then the controller's. That way the heater's thermostat is always on and not switched. Which mainly effects mechanical heaters which will wear out much much quicker then electronic ones.

I use a couple jagers, plugged into a Ranco, which is plugged into an apex controlled outlet with input from 3 different temp probes. I trust the Ranco the most.

Apex I set to adjust to seasonal temps so will vary from ~76-80 depending on month and day. Then have 3 probes checking the temp and if any one of them detects the temp over 81 to shutdown the heater's outlet.

Ranco I have plugged into that apex temp controlled outlet and set the Ranco to 82 so if for some reason the apex fails the Ranco will shut itself down and the heaters connected to them.

Then the Temp on the heaters themselves I have set to 84 and trust them the least.

Allentown
10/01/2015, 06:18 AM
I run a 800w titanium finnex tube in my 225 off an apex and a plastic aqueon off a finnex controller with the heaters internal thermostat set a couple degrees higher in my 90.

I've never heard of an apex failing in the on position but a problem with the apex temp probe could be catastrophic which is why I'll be adding a second temp prob via the salinity module anyway soon.

Also run a smaller 500w back up heater in my 225, but it's set at 76 where as my main is set to 79. I suspect the back up will never come on.

moondoggy4
10/01/2015, 11:24 AM
I like the Finnex titanium heaters that come in the nice box they lay on their side and have rubber ends to keep the heater off the bottom of the sump. No controller so I use a Ranco, I used to have it on a Digital Aquatics controller the temp failed but on hot so my fan was always running.

shifty51008
10/01/2015, 04:51 PM
I like the Finnex titanium heaters that come in the nice box they lay on their side and have rubber ends to keep the heater off the bottom of the sump. No controller so I use a Ranco, I used to have it on a Digital Aquatics controller the temp failed but on hot so my fan was always running.

I run mine the same, finnex titanium heating tube ran off a ranco, never had any problems but did replace the heater this year as the last one was 3 years old.

alton
10/02/2015, 05:07 AM
I have a Marineland glass heater that is older than dirt which my son uses now in his FW tank and it is still amazingly accurate. In saying that the top part has never been submersed which I think creates issues with many heaters.