PDA

View Full Version : Overflow space problem

ghostshrimp
09/30/2015, 09:30 PM
Hello everyone! I recently ran into a problem with my overflow design. I was trying to make a bean animal overflow for my 70 gallon tank. but the overflow box behind the tank does not have enough space to accommodate all the three pipes at the same time as you can see in the picture. I need a design that is silent as it is going to be in my living room. Please advise on what to do with the design. Are there any other silent options329943?

ghostshrimp
09/30/2015, 10:59 PM
What if I use one durso and one emergency and use and end cap at the bottom of the middle outlet so that I get space to work

skeeter_ca
10/01/2015, 01:59 PM
You could do that. Or put a valve on the drainpipe and throttle it to a full siphon and then you have a Herbie.

RocketEngineer
10/01/2015, 02:25 PM
What is the fitting you have in the bulkhead?

Look into Street Elbows which have one side the same size as a piece of pipe would be. You can then connect the street elbow and the tee directly.

The siphon doesn't need any plumbing but I would recommend a coarse screen to keep snails out of the plumbing. Purchase one and cut out every other one of the grating.

dawgwe1
10/01/2015, 09:52 PM
I agree with Skeeter and have done the same to my overflow. Works great. Stays quiet and has an emergency overflow just in case

Cdodge1
10/02/2015, 10:03 AM
You could do that. Or put a valve on the drainpipe and throttle it to a full siphon and then you have a Herbie.

I agree with Skeeter and have done the same to my overflow. Works great. Stays quiet and has an emergency overflow just in case

Also would to recommend this

ghostshrimp
10/04/2015, 11:25 AM
Ok I went ahead with the herbie method and it works really well for sometime until the emergency drain starts trickling water. I hope it's a part of the herbie method. There is some emergency drain noise too

Cdodge1
10/04/2015, 07:56 PM
Ok I went ahead with the herbie method and it works really well for sometime until the emergency drain starts trickling water. I hope it's a part of the herbie method. There is some emergency drain noise too

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Read this article. It's one of the best resources I have found on herbie overflows. The herbie method requires a lot of fine tuning. You used a gate valve and not a ball valve right?

ghostshrimp
10/05/2015, 02:50 AM
Ok no I used a ball valve :-/ I was thinking there is no fine control over it. Now it's all set up and working. The option I have is to install a gate valve after the ball valve

rickztahone
10/06/2015, 01:21 PM
Ok no I used a ball valve :-/ I was thinking there is no fine control over it. Now it's all set up and working. The option I have is to install a gate valve after the ball valve

Gate valve would give you much finer tuning.