PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Lights

WhoScott
10/01/2015, 01:05 AM
I have seen several posts regarding led lights being mounted above the water a certain distance (usually around 14 or 16 inches). I have also seen several led light systems that are frame mounted and are much lower to the water. Why the difference? Can I not mount a mars aqua (just for example) lower to the water if I need to? Is it for the coverage? I'm new to led lights and just want to make sure that when I put some in I do it right.

WhoScott
10/02/2015, 03:57 PM
Does anyone have any input on this?

yukimika
10/02/2015, 05:24 PM
I think it really depends on the lights in question, how it spreads light, the size of the tank, the application and personal preference. you'll have to get the light and see where you like it to be honest. Ideally a light mount will be flexible so you can adjust for your preference.

aznflyfisherman
10/02/2015, 05:27 PM
I believe it has to do with coverage. Also what type n how high their canopy is can influence on how high a person can mount it. Atleast thats the case for me.

theMatrix
10/02/2015, 05:28 PM
And also the depth of the tank.

WhoScott
10/02/2015, 10:37 PM
The biggest limitation for me is my canopy. It isn't very tall so I wasn't sure if I could make it work if the height was inflexible. Thank you for your help.

PeterHall
10/02/2015, 10:45 PM
I have mine mounted at 8 inches or so but it depends on coverage. A puck like a radion light or kessil would want to be higher. The array lights like Mars aqua and Chinese box leds could be mounted closer to the water surface.

WhoScott
10/03/2015, 01:39 AM
I've been looking at the mars aqua so that's good to know.