PDA

View Full Version : Picasso and True Perc laying eggs- rookie help for hatchery setup

jlnielsen13
10/01/2015, 06:38 PM
Hey RC,

So my Male Bali Aquarich Picasso and my female true Perc are regularly laying eggs. I decided to give raising clownfish a try and have ordered all the supplies needed from Reed Mariculture to be ready for the next batch- one will hatch tonight but I'm not ready for them. Although I have been maintaining reefs for 20 years I am a rookie when it comes to raising fry!

I figured I would start a thread of my journey and kindly ask for any tips and advice that you experienced reefers may have!

Here is a picture of the pair, my tank, and the hatchery I have set up so far. Lots of equipment coming in this week.

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7%3A48%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D43%3B%3B7949673 28nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp53%3B66%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B93%3C987%3C9328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu82%3B5%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D44%3C237793%3A3 28nu0mrj

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

- JIM

adoptaspork
10/02/2015, 10:12 AM
gorgeous tank! following along since i'm interested in trying my hand at this in the not too distant future...

are you letting the eggs hatch in the display tank and then attempting to move over the babies?

jlnielsen13
10/02/2015, 10:56 AM
gorgeous tank! following along since i'm interested in trying my hand at this in the not too distant future...

are you letting the eggs hatch in the display tank and then attempting to move over the babies?

I haven't decided yet so that's an excellent question that I will need to figure out!

I have two options- take out rock on hatch day and place it down in the fish room hatchery or try the flashlight method in the tank and hopefully the light attracts all the fry an I can scoop them up in a bucket??

The first batch hatched last night so I should be up and running by this Wednesday with rotifers. If they lay a new batch this week hopefully I will be good to go!

Thanks
JIM

mrbigshot
10/02/2015, 06:25 PM
Try getting a tile where they lay on the rock for future spawns, otherwise use some ridged airline tubing on the end of airline and try to syphon them off when there ready.

The reason you want to do that is so you can give them a dip in some hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria on them. It really helps with survivability. If you pull the rock you risk the chance of spooking the fish and making they hold off laying. Sometimes they don't care others it could be 6 months or more before they start again.

mrbigshot
10/02/2015, 06:30 PM
Using a large black tub with a little water is the best way to hatch them, after a few days you can use a slow drip of new water and use that to fill the tub u till after meta happens. It keeps the water clean like waterchanges but water changes on new fry usually dont go well, not having clean water kills a bunch and many of the rest will be deformed. The slow drip solves that. Otohime is good from a few days on. No need for freshly hatched baby brine shimp. That's been known to kill them I. Some instances from light shock.

mrbigshot
10/02/2015, 06:32 PM
Also keep a light on half the tub 24 hours a day after hatch. Just aim it at a wall so there dark area if they want to be in the dark. They need light to feed on rots untill meta and will feed around the clock between you feeding them otohime.

Dkuhlmann
10/06/2015, 07:40 AM
That is a beautiful tank Jim and one you should do a thread on in the Soft corals forum. You could be selected as a contender for TOTM? Might give it a try if you're interested.

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp53%3B66%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B93%3C987%3C9328nu0mrj

jlnielsen13
10/06/2015, 01:46 PM
That is a beautiful tank Jim and one you should do a thread on in the Soft corals forum. You could be selected as a contender for TOTM? Might give it a try if you're interested.

Thanks! Man it would be incredible to be considered for TOTM!! Not sure how that works but appreciate the comment!!

jlnielsen13
10/06/2015, 01:50 PM
Well,

The clowns have laid their second batch since I got things moving. This time in another location on the back of the tank. Bad news is it is really hard to get to and may be impossible to get the eggs.

Tomorrow, my rotifers come in from Reed Mariculture. I should have everything ready to go for their arrival.

I have 2 five gallon buckets with their custom fittings and will be splitting the culture in two buckets. In my mind I hope this will help when I have a crash having a spare bucket but in reality if one bucket crashes the other probably will as well.

We will see!

JIM

Dkuhlmann
10/07/2015, 04:31 AM
Thanks! Man it would be incredible to be considered for TOTM!! Not sure how that works but appreciate the comment!!

This might help a bit

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2404805&highlight=totm+rules

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/reefkeeping-blog

Dkuhlmann
10/07/2015, 04:33 AM
Many people that breed clowns use a piece of tile for the fish to lay eggs on, that way it's easy to take out and moved right before the fry hatch.

jlnielsen13
10/08/2015, 10:34 AM
Set up the rotifers last night. Not sure I have everything up and running correctly. I bought the Reed mariculture system and I'm not getting a lot of bubbles from the airline.

Eggs look good in the tank, going to try the light and suction method I think to get them out, hopefully that works??

Tips appreciated!

JIM

ReefWreak
10/08/2015, 10:54 AM
I'm watching intently, as my clownfishes just laid their 3rd clutch of eggs and I'm debating whether to go all-in and try to raise them.

I bought M. Wittenrich's (http://smile.amazon.com/Complete-Illustrated-Breeders-Marine-Aquarium/dp/1890087718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444323025&sr=8-1&keywords=complete+breeders+guide) book on fish breeding and J. Wilkerson's book on clownfish breeding (http://smile.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Captive-Breeding-Natural-History/dp/1890087041/ref=pd_sim_14_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=04E51B7519ZR48TMGYRJ) and I feel MUCH better about how to approach actually raising the fishes and raising them in a healthy way. Might be worth you taking a look, since you've already invested some $$$ in your setup.

I also recall someone setting up a reverse funnel for capturing the larvae with a dim light, some contraption hanging at the top of the tank at night. I'll keep looking, but it seemed like an easy enough way to go. I can't recall if I saw it in Coral Magazine or online.

If worse comes to worse, you can try turning most of your flow off the night of the hatch, and then in the AM before the lights come on, try capturing them at the surface with a light and bowl.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Good luck!

jlnielsen13
10/12/2015, 04:08 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a link to an overview I just made of the whole system. You can see the eggs and my rotifer/hatchery set up at the end!

Thanks,

JIM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DJV51diLq5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SPTreefer
10/13/2015, 05:36 AM
Good looking setup there Jim. You appear to be well prepared!

Several years back I decided to raise Clowns and have been hooked since. It's truly an awesome experience watching their physical and social development. They have such cool personalities, some good, some naughty...lol

If I could offer one piece of advice from personal experience It would be to lose the bubbles in the Rotifer cultures. I found early on that I was effectively skimming the Rotifer food...not good. After going with a larger diameter outlet tubing the skimming effect was eliminated and my culture production skyrocketed.

HTH and good luck!

Joe

jlnielsen13
10/13/2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice... I hope I didn't kill my rotifers as the water doesn't seem to be changing shades of green???

Got all ready last night and shut off the lights/pumps for hatch night (day8) but it didn't happen. Hopefully will tonight as I will give it another try.

The flashlight technique attracted all kinds of micro organisms so hopefully it will work with clownfish as well!!

Thanks
JIM

jlnielsen13
10/13/2015, 08:47 PM
Well...

Hatch night isn't going as planned. I caught four but was only able to transfer one to the fry tank. No others have hatched and I am sure this is Day nine. I feel like if I go to bed they will all hatch over night!!

Argh!

Turned off lights one more time, gonna wait 30 minutes and then give it one last try!

Jim

ReefWreak
10/14/2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the update. I was planning on just either dialing down my vortech the night of hatching, or turning it off entirely, and then going in the early AM and doing the light capture. I figured the fry couldn't deal with flow.

Looking forward to seeing how your experience goes. My wife just okayed (almost insisted) that now that we have our third clutch of eggs, we try to actually raise them, but we have no room because of our tiny NYC apartment, so I'll be seeing what I can cram into maybe 2.5g tanks and 2 liter bottles. So thanks for the video and looking forward to updates :)

jlnielsen13
10/14/2015, 10:17 AM
Well it looks like there are at least some eggs left, do they sometimes hatch day 10??

If they are there tonight I will give it another try!

Fed the clowns that did survive so far (about 4-5).

I'll keep ya posted,
JIM

jlnielsen13
10/14/2015, 08:20 PM
Big night!

So far I have caught around 20-30 using a siphon 1by1....

The process seems to work and the light has attracted everyone that I have caught so far.

Couple of tips for siphoning to help future hatchers:
Siphon head on! If you approach from behind or the side they feel the siphon and Bolt... FAST!

Well, back for another round!

Updates to come - JIM

ReefWreak
10/15/2015, 08:11 AM
What point of your tank's lighting cycle did you collect?

You said you turned your lights off. I have a clutch that are probably hatching tonight (I thought they would hatch last night, and I think they may be hatching in batches) and I used a cell phone light covered with a paper towel to give a dim light at the top of the tank, and turned the pumps to feed mode, just to see if I could get them to come up to that light. I tried that about an hour after the lights went out in my tank, and I didn't see any movement.

Good to hear you were able to catch plenty though. I'm just curious as to timing/methodology.

jlnielsen13
10/15/2015, 12:03 PM
What point of your tank's lighting cycle did you collect?

You said you turned your lights off. I have a clutch that are probably hatching tonight (I thought they would hatch last night, and I think they may be hatching in batches) and I used a cell phone light covered with a paper towel to give a dim light at the top of the tank, and turned the pumps to feed mode, just to see if I could get them to come up to that light. I tried that about an hour after the lights went out in my tank, and I didn't see any movement.

Good to hear you were able to catch plenty though. I'm just curious as to timing/methodology.

So mine hatched in batches as well over the course of 2 nights with some still remaining today on the rock.

I turned the lights off at 7pm and covered the tank in blankets. I waited 30 minutes and then turned on a flashlight at the top of the tank shining down. I waited another 30 minutes and began collecting.

Honestly, after the first collection of about 20, it was really hit and miss the rest of the night. I collected maybe another 10 on numerous attempts.

Overall, I might have 30 ish fry but am kinda disappointed I couldn't catch more as I am sure there were hundreds!

I wonder if lots of them get stuck in the anemones around them and are eaten??

Hope that helps,
JIM

ReefWreak
10/15/2015, 12:08 PM
It does help, thanks!

What time do your lights normally turn off at night (sorry, I'm not sure if you manually do it, or if they normally turn themselves off at 9pm or what)?

Did you diffuse the light to the flashlight? Was it a dimmer flashlight? I've been reading recently that the fry can get disoriented/shocked from too bright of a light, so I've been covering my cellphone light with paper towel so it's much more diffuse.

Did you leave that flashlight at the top of the tank on for the whole duration? It sounds like you went back again after the first collection, did you go back every few hours all night or something?

I imagine they get eaten by many things in the tank, probably the anemone too. I'm sure mine will be gobbled by the torch coral they nested under, and will be blown around and feed my acros, and probably get sucked up into my skimmer too. It would be neat to see some baby clowns growing in my filter-less sump in the back of my biocube, but of course quite unlikely.

jlnielsen13
10/15/2015, 08:41 PM
Hatch Night 3:

So I came home and saw there were still 100+ eggs on day 11 yet to be hatched! I went through the same protocol as before and gave it one more night:

I caught 20 more fry and after doing a count it looks like I have around 50 fry give or take.

They all like to swim along one wall so I'm not sure if it is a light issue?? Also not sure if they are eating but I guess we will see.

I am unsure about my rotifer cultures and since I am now told the "L TYPE" rotifer is much better I overnighted a culture for tomorrow from Reed Mariculture.

I made a quick video which is uploading to my youtube channel right now!

Thanks for following- excited about this week (cautiously excited)

JIM

jlnielsen13
10/16/2015, 06:09 AM
Here is that video from last night.

Thanks-

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xKFBIo627ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKFBIo627ls

https://youtu.be/xKFBIo627ls

D-Nak
10/16/2015, 09:13 AM
If you decide this is something that you want to pursue and your pair continues to lay in your DT and you can't remove the eggs, invest in a fry collecting trap. I have one made by Chad Vossen. He used to sell them on Etsy but I think he sells them on eBay now. I just set it up the night of the hatch then go to bed. In the morning I have babies in the trap waiting for me to move them to their grow out tank. I think CPR makes ones too but I have no experience with it.

ReefWreak
10/16/2015, 09:17 AM
If you decide this is something that you want to pursue and your pair continues to lay in your DT and you can't remove the eggs, invest in a fish trap. I have one made by Chad Vossen. He used to sell them on Etsy but I think he sells them on eBay now. I just set it up the night of the hatch then go to bed. In the morning I have babies in the trap waiting for me to move them to their grow out tank. I think CPR makes ones too but I have no experience with it.

Do you turn your pumps down on hatch night or anything special? Or you just leave everything as normal and turn the trap on the night you are expecting hatches?

D-Nak
10/16/2015, 09:26 AM
Do you turn your pumps down on hatch night or anything special? Or you just leave everything as normal and turn the trap on the night you are expecting hatches?

I turn the pumps off completely. If you don't, the babies will get whipped around and won't make it into the trap. The trap is connected to an airline which creates a current that pulls the babies into the trap. The design also creates a circular current within the trap to keep the babies in suspension. The only thing to look out for is that the current isn't set too high -- otherwise the babies get pressed up against the netting where the water exits the trap. Though the initial $50 seems a bit steep, it's money well spent because I no longer need to stay up at night, manually pulling out fry one by one.

ReefWreak
10/16/2015, 09:41 AM
I turn the pumps off completely. If you don't, the babies will get whipped around and won't make it into the trap. The trap is connected to an airline which creates a current that pulls the babies into the trap. The design also creates a circular current within the trap to keep the babies in suspension. The only thing to look out for is that the current isn't set too high -- otherwise the babies get pressed up against the netting where the water exits the trap. Though the initial $50 seems a bit steep, it's money well spent because I no longer need to stay up at night, manually pulling out fry one by one.

Again I have to be particular here (sorry!), but you turn ALL of your tank system flow pumps off (i.e. powerheads and returns)? I didn't think a tank can last more than 12 hours or so like that?

D-Nak
10/16/2015, 09:50 AM
Again I have to be particular here (sorry!), but you turn ALL of your tank system flow pumps off (i.e. powerheads and returns)? I didn't think a tank can last more than 12 hours or so like that?

Yes, ALL of the pumps, including the return. I typically turn them off for about 5 hours, so there's no impact to the tank. The temp may go down a degree or two, but it's never affected the tank.

Lights out on my tank is about midnight. I set up the trap, turn off all of the pumps, then go to sleep for a few hours. I wake up, add water from my DT to a 10 gallon tank, then dump in the babies, and finish setting up the tank -- airstone, heater, etc.. After I'm done, I fire up the return pump and MP40s, then go back to bed if I'm lucky. :beer:

jlnielsen13
10/16/2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info!

I already contacted CHad and he in the middle of a move or on vacation but will be getting back in contact with him soon!

I get nervous having the pumps off for 2 hours!

The 50$ is well worth me not having to continually catch these buggers every night!

Anybody else have eggs hatch consistently over 3 days??

Thanks,

JIM

Windy2
10/17/2015, 08:44 AM
Here is my setup. I also have a fry trap but I prefer putting the pair in a breeder so you can see what is going on.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533865

jlnielsen13
10/19/2015, 12:07 PM
Great setup!!

jlnielsen13
10/19/2015, 12:10 PM
Day four update:

Things seem to be going well! I counted between 15-20 babies that are swimming and actively hunting their prey. You can literally watch them stop and curl their tail to catch their prey! Pretty cool!!

Two things have worked against me-
1. lots of babies cling to the wall of the tank and never feed?? I don't know how to get them off the wall.

2. I always had a feeling but my first batch of rotifers did not have any rotifers in it?? I couldn't see anything in the bag and thought, maybe they were just really small. Because of this I lost a lot of fry to starvation I believe.

Thanks to a free replacement batch, I now know what rotifers are supposed to look like and have a good culture going!!

Hopefully we are on the right track now!!

JIM

shifty51008
10/19/2015, 04:53 PM
I have a fry trap from chad that i dont use but will need a new light if your intrested

jlnielsen13
10/19/2015, 08:33 PM
I have a fry trap from chad that i dont use but will need a new light if your intrested

Yes that would be amazing! Can you pm me with your price and shipping cost! Really appreciate it! !

jlnielsen13
10/20/2015, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately, it looks like I am down to 7 fry.
They eat well and have even taken to the dry food (ortho A)

My main problem is that most of them just look at their reflection in the glass all day long?? Does anyone else have this issue??

Would a plastic tub work better? (NO REFLECTION OFF GLASS)

Thanks,
JIM

D-Nak
10/20/2015, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately, it looks like I am down to 7 fry.
They eat well and have even taken to the dry food (ortho A)

My main problem is that most of them just look at their reflection in the glass all day long?? Does anyone else have this issue??

Would a plastic tub work better? (NO REFLECTION OFF GLASS)

Thanks,
JIM

A plastic tub will work, but simply painting the tank with flat black paint will do the trick. Not only does it minimize reflections but it also allows the babies to see the rotifers better. I use black removable vinyl on some tanks and black construction paper on others -- this allows me to use the tanks for other purposes when I'm not raising clowns (it gets old really quick).

I attribute flat faces to poor water quality and also because the babies are pressing their faces on the glass. Ideally, you want your clowns to look like wild clowns, with nice round faces and minimal defects.

jlnielsen13
10/20/2015, 12:16 PM
A plastic tub will work, but simply painting the tank with flat black paint will do the trick. Not only does it minimize reflections but it also allows the babies to see the rotifers better. I use black removable vinyl on some tanks and black construction paper on others -- this allows me to use the tanks for other purposes when I'm not raising clowns (it gets old really quick).

I attribute flat faces to poor water quality and also because the babies are pressing their faces on the glass. Ideally, you want your clowns to look like wild clowns, with nice round faces and minimal defects.

Thanks for the reply,

I covered the entire tank in the removable black vinyl aquarium background but when looking at the tank from the inside the panels are still giving that mirrored look that is attracting the clownfish. I wonder if flat, black paint would help out with the reflective aspect??

I think that and nutrition is the big reasons I have failed on the first batch!

Thanks
JIM

BIGCYCS805
10/20/2015, 12:36 PM
Hey RC,

So my Male Bali Aquarich Picasso and my female true Perc are regularly laying eggs. I decided to give raising clownfish a try and have ordered all the supplies needed from Reed Mariculture to be ready for the next batch- one will hatch tonight but I'm not ready for them. Although I have been maintaining reefs for 20 years I am a rookie when it comes to raising fry!

I figured I would start a thread of my journey and kindly ask for any tips and advice that you experienced reefers may have!

Here is a picture of the pair, my tank, and the hatchery I have set up so far. Lots of equipment coming in this week.

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7%3A48%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D43%3B%3B7949673 28nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu82%3B5%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D44%3C237793%3A3 28nu0mrj

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

- JIM
A little off topic but your tank is really nice I love the coloration what type of lighting are you using I'm very curious

D-Nak
10/20/2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I covered the entire tank in the removable black vinyl aquarium background but when looking at the tank from the inside the panels are still giving that mirrored look that is attracting the clownfish. I wonder if flat, black paint would help out with the reflective aspect??

I think that and nutrition is the big reasons I have failed on the first batch!

Thanks
JIM

Yes, I think flat paint helps a lot. But black construction paper works well too, and isn't permanent like paint.

In terms of nutrition, I feed my rotifers RGComplete. Prior to feeding the babies I check to make sure that the rotifers are full -- I place them in a glass and use a jewelry loupe to check their stomachs, making sure that they are green and full of algae.

jlnielsen13
10/20/2015, 01:33 PM
A little off topic but your tank is really nice I love the coloration what type of lighting are you using I'm very curious

Hello and thanks,

It is under t5 lighting! Dumped the LEDS about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier.

see previous threads,

JIM

jlnielsen13
10/21/2015, 12:06 PM
This morning I checked on the tank and have 7-8 that seemed to actively hunt the rotifers and eat the dry food.

I've learned through the help of other reefers on the page (big thanks) that tinting the water does seem to keep some of them off the glass. I still have 4-5 that I cannot get off the glass for some reason.

I will be switching to the next step of dry food tonight.

I also am expecting to see a new batch of eggs today as the female looked ready to explode.

No breeding behaviors from my new pair- teardrop Wyoming whites.

The Fry are noticeably bigger and seem to have a slight orange tint to them, but that could be my imagination.

Thanks,

JIM

D-Nak
10/21/2015, 12:31 PM
What are you feeding the parents? If fed a nutritionally balanced diet, they'll have bigger spans. I recently switched to LRS food and my big female literally laid on top of an old nest. It's the first time I've ever seen this happen with my pair. LRS now makes a breeder blend which I plan to try soon.

jlnielsen13
10/22/2015, 11:47 AM
What are you feeding the parents? If fed a nutritionally balanced diet, they'll have bigger spans. I recently switched to LRS food and my big female literally laid on top of an old nest. It's the first time I've ever seen this happen with my pair. LRS now makes a breeder blend which I plan to try soon.

The parents get Spectrum thera A 3 times a day by auto feeder and then get frozen mixtures at night. The fry are on the TDO chroma boost from reed mariculture. They are eating a combo of "A" and "B1" at the moment. I purchased the breeder bundle.

Thanks,

JIM

shifty51008
10/25/2015, 05:15 PM
Your clowns eggs should be hatching again soon right?

jlnielsen13
10/26/2015, 04:27 PM
Your clowns eggs should be hatching again soon right?

Huge thanks on the fry catcher- excited to use it!!

My clowns haven't been very regular but day 9 will be on Friday and 10 on Saturday!

Any suggestions for replacement light and where do you shine the light? At the bottom where the air bubbles come out correct??

Thanks,

Jim

shifty51008
10/26/2015, 04:43 PM
No problem, hope you have good luck with it. The light i used was just a white led that i connected to my arduino and just used painters tape to tape it to the outside of the glass, ghetto but it worked lol. Any light should work though, if its to bright you can always dim it with paper. And yes you want to put the light at the bottom where the bubbles come out.

I beleive you can contact chad and he can get you a new light also for later on, he always said he would send me a replacement but never did.

D-Nak
10/26/2015, 05:08 PM
Yes -- Chad makes both battery powered lights and also a hardwired version, but I agree that pretty much any LED will work. It doesn't need to be that bright, especially if the room is completely dark.

jlnielsen13
11/01/2015, 06:48 PM
So, things aren't going well this time around.... Yesterday was day 10 so I set up the Vossen fly trap and caught 2. I was pretty disappointed. TOday I was happy cause half the eggs were still alive. I set up again tonight with this schedule:
5pm lights off

530 pumps off

630 trap and led light on.

I haven't caught any yet tonight. Some eggs still look attached but some have definitely hatched.

I do have a couple questions:

How long can I leave my tank without power?? Air specifically??
How vigorous should the bubbles on the trap be?
Is there something wrong with my schedule??

Thanks for all the help guys! I feel like my clowns hatch more on day 10-11-12. Is that Odd?

Appreciate all the help,

JIM

shifty51008
11/01/2015, 08:12 PM
Go on youtube and look up "how to catch larvae.mts" that will give you a good idea on how to setup the bubbles.

My tank goes fine for 3-4 hours with no power but i have a small bioload.

Do your lights always go off at 5pm? If not try to keep your light schedual the same and set the fry catcher to that time. Ive not had much luck turning the lights off early to have them hatch earlier, not sure about others.

jlnielsen13
11/02/2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice,

No, my lights usually go off closer to 10 so that probably caused an issue. Sadly, the eggs all hatched last night and I only caught 3 total. I guess I will try to raise those 3?

I get nervous about the tank being off for longer than 3 hours.

I am going to try to glue in some clay pot fragments. The clowns have laid their eggs in three different locations around their anemones so far so it will be harder to get them to lay them on a clay pot piece.

I'll give that a try as this isn't going to well so far. I really hoped I would get 100ish fry this time!!

Thanks,
Jim

Go on youtube and look up "how to catch larvae.mts" that will give you a good idea on how to setup the bubbles.

My tank goes fine for 3-4 hours with no power but i have a small bioload.

Do your lights always go off at 5pm? If not try to keep your light schedual the same and set the fry catcher to that time. Ive not had much luck turning the lights off early to have them hatch earlier, not sure about others.

D-Nak
11/02/2015, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice,

No, my lights usually go off closer to 10 so that probably caused an issue. Sadly, the eggs all hatched last night and I only caught 3 total. I guess I will try to raise those 3?

I get nervous about the tank being off for longer than 3 hours.

I am going to try to glue in some clay pot fragments. The clowns have laid their eggs in three different locations around their anemones so far so it will be harder to get them to lay them on a clay pot piece.

I'll give that a try as this isn't going to well so far. I really hoped I would get 100ish fry this time!!

Thanks,
Jim

I personally think it's a waste of time to raise only 3, but it's up to you.

I use the saucers used for clay pots and place them where the female usually deposits her eggs. You'd be surprised at how much your clowns would prefer to lay on a smooth surface than a rock. I't try that before using broken prices of clay pots. I've used broken tiles before and my female was strong enough to slip them over.

jlnielsen13
11/02/2015, 04:00 PM
On the 10th day I lost a few clownfish fry and decided to take a look at one under a microscope. Here is what I saw:

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A8%3C7%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D4535777%3A463 28nu0mrj

Super impressed with the teeth!!

shifty51008
11/02/2015, 04:16 PM
I drill a hole in a old bathroom tile and use fish string to hold it in place where the clowns lay.

I think turning off the lights early confuses the eggs which is why i never have good luck that way however i have left the lights on to delay the hatch before.

That pic is cool, love microscope pics.

jlnielsen13
11/03/2015, 12:30 PM
In prep for my 3rd batch, which I would guess would be laid in the next 2-3 days, I glued in 5-6 pieces of clay pot in the usually egg laying areas.

I hope I didn't disturb their area to much and that they will lay on the clay pot pieces but that might take time.

My tank looks like a garbage bin at a garden center right now!

JIM

ReefWreak
11/03/2015, 12:43 PM
Good luck, hopefully it takes!

My female clown got pop-eye about 2 weeks ago, but only in one eye, and hasn't laid eggs since. Fickle things. So the pop-eye is almost entirely healed, and hopefully she'll go back to laying eggs soon. I'm curious to how the partial clay pot pieces work out, that would be a really easy strategy for me instead of having to try catching them at night.

jlnielsen13
11/11/2015, 08:01 AM
Update,

Well unfortunately they laid eggs on the largest rock in the tank and avoided all 5 clay pot pieces in usual laying areas.... arghh.

I am thinking of attaching a large mesh net on hatch night/nights and seeing if that helps?? I failed with the fish trap last time but maybe I should give that a go again.

First batch of clowns (2 left) are doing well.

Jim

shifty51008
11/11/2015, 11:00 PM
I would be scared to use a mesh net, the fry are fragile and will get stuck in the net really easy and most likely die.

meg
11/18/2015, 03:56 PM
:cool:

jlnielsen13
11/18/2015, 06:30 PM
:cool:

My wife was born in Oregon, il and lived there till college- small world!

JIM

jlnielsen13
11/18/2015, 06:33 PM
http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu995%3A%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D45426%3B4757328 nu0mrj

Using a chisel and a hammer, I was able to break off the chunk of rock seen above with 90% of the eggs on it!

It really went well and I think the eggs weren't exposed to air. Time will tell but I am shocked how well it went. I just wasn't in for sucking the little guys up again!

JIM

meg
11/18/2015, 07:49 PM
This is great timing. My Rods Onyx pair clutch is about ready to hatch. They have laid eggs before, but like some of you I am thinking I should learn how to raise them:) Thanks!

shifty51008
11/20/2015, 12:07 AM
Are you sure the eggs are constantly in motion from the air?

jlnielsen13
11/20/2015, 01:47 PM
Are you sure the eggs are constantly in motion from the air?

Looks like you could see my future. I place them almost on top of the airstone, yet all of them turned white got the fungus and died.... Everything went so perfect and I thought I would have 100 to care of and now I have 2 AGAIN. Super upset and ready to give up!

JIM

D-Nak
11/20/2015, 02:07 PM
When the eggs turn white, it means they're dead. It doesn't necessarily mean that they died because of a fungus.

Best best bet is to leave the eggs where the parents laid them. This will allow the male to care for the eggs up until they hatch. He will keep them clean and clear of fungus, and will keep them properly aerated.

The next step will be to collect the hatched fry, and then move them to another tank for grow out. Give the fish trap another go.

shifty51008
11/21/2015, 04:26 PM
Dont give up, it can be fusturating but you will get it, everyone has their own way that works for them, you will find your way. I would also try the trap again, couldnt hurt. The longer the parents care for the eggs the better.

ThRoewer
11/21/2015, 04:48 PM
I found it to be most effective to take the eggs out of the parent tank the evening before they hatch and place them into the larva tank. You just need to make sure to provide enough turbulence at the eggs to keep the aerated and aide the larva hatch. Coarse bubbles are best for this (tough I always pointed the circulation pump outlet on them).

jlnielsen13
11/22/2015, 07:01 AM
I found it to be most effective to take the eggs out of the parent tank the evening before they hatch and place them into the larva tank. You just need to make sure to provide enough turbulence at the eggs to keep the aerated and aide the larva hatch. Coarse bubbles are best for this (tough I always pointed the circulation pump outlet on them).

What do you mean by circulation pump? You have a powerhead on the tank. How can you make sure that it doesn't suck up fry?
Thanks,
JIM

ThRoewer
11/22/2015, 07:14 PM
The tank had a compartment for pump, heater and skimmer. It was separated by a fine mesh (forgot which grid size).
The larva compartment was octagonal and had a capacity of about 100 liter.
The pump set the water into rotation.
The design worked to eliminate dead corners but a good percentage of the larva would still hang out on the glass. As I said before, clownfish larva are quite excellent swimmers.
Another advantage is that all the waste collects in the center of the tank where it can easily be removed.

It also worked for marine bettas.