PDA

View Full Version : Permanent inhabitants for a quarantine tank suggestions?

bfortune76
10/03/2015, 03:46 PM
I am setting up my 15 gallon quarantine tank but there was a slight trade off. I convinced my 10 yo to convert her FW tank to salt water for a "hospital" tank with the 1 exception... It has to have some nurses. Lol. So I need to keep at least a few fish in there permanently. Any recommendations on inexpensive fish non aggressive fish that won't mess with qualities corals and or fish destined for the DT?

Yes something was actually living in here
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/03/684921a3375ff6208dba18a73545fdef.jpg

Fresh vinegar bath and filling with RO

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/03/14bca6f9ba01c127928ea266345e4132.jpg

stingeragent
10/03/2015, 05:19 PM
Nothing comes to mind unfortunately. I dont think keeping a fish long term in a qt is a viable option imho.

Indymann99
10/03/2015, 09:05 PM
The point of QT is to "ISOLATE" the fish from other fish to make sure disease is not spread from fish to fish... having a "nurse" (fish) in the QT is subjecting that fish to DIRECT exposure to disease...

Would you put your daughter in a bathtub with an Ebola patient???

How about you tell your daughter that "she" is the nurse. she needs to feed the new fish, check the water, and observe for signs of disease or distress.

snorklr
10/03/2015, 09:24 PM
doesnt appear she did a good job of that with the freshwater setup...think the "nurse" should be a spongebob statue

ca1ore
10/03/2015, 09:43 PM
I used one of my kids bedroom tanks as my QT and it did not work well ..... for a number of reasons. First and foremost was that they tended to view the fish as 'theirs' making the subsequent move to the main tank somewhat traumatic. Second was that they wanted sand and a few rocks, which makes treatment problematic.

For those getting their outrage up (and making tasteless analogies), not sure how this is any different than the majority of folks who don't QT fish.

stingeragent
10/03/2015, 10:06 PM
If it was me, I'd move the QT out of the kiddo's room and get them another tank if they want fish. (FW).

Allentown
10/03/2015, 10:12 PM
Cleaner shrimp? I am not a fan of QT fish in a sterile bb tank unless your goal is to kill the fish with high ammonia levels.

I QT my fish in an established tank with a couple clowns. The clowns bare the risk so the inhabitants of the DT don't have to but at least the QT is a large volume cycled established tank.

I haven't dealt with fish disease in 5 years..and that's not bragging it could happen tomorrow for all I know as I just set up a new tank and put in lots of fish all at once (for aggression reasons) rather than having them all qt but......as I add in stragglers over time and they get QT, if disease were to break out in the QT tank I wouldn't introduce a bunch of copper. I would keep the water healthy and let nature run its course and run it fallow if it killed my clowns to.

Just my opinion though.

stingeragent
10/03/2015, 10:15 PM
Can't treat copper with inverts.

kmbyrnes
10/04/2015, 09:11 AM
I am in the process of stocking a large tank, so I'll be keeping a 40B QT fully cycled for at least the next year. Once that's done, I'll go back to 'as needed' uncycled QT.
If you are constantly acquiring new fish, I would just feed the tank fish food to keep the bacteria alive in between occupants.

Potsy
10/04/2015, 09:43 AM
If it was me, I'd move the QT out of the kiddo's room and get them another tank if they want fish. (FW).

+1. Petco has a $1 per gallon sale. Pick up a new tank and start a new freshwater tank with pool filter sand for substrate so that its easy to clean.