PDA

View Full Version : California reefers

jonwright
10/03/2015, 10:41 PM
With the water restrictions in Cali I'm wondering what hobbyists have changed (if anything) in response to this.

Isaacs55
10/04/2015, 05:48 AM
Well I used to have nice green grass both front and backyard and a nice tank...and now I have...well just a nice tank and dead dry grass both front and backyard.

Isaacs55
10/04/2015, 05:52 AM
I think a lot of people use way too much water for their lawns then needed in my opinion. I recently attached my waste water from my rodi unit to an outside storage barrel that I use to wash my cars and what's left goes to my plants and trees.

davocean
10/04/2015, 11:59 AM
There was a pretty good size thread on this in this forum recently, maybe search that.
Here in San Diego we have access to Birch aquariums filtration system, and we can get all the filtered SW we could need at Scripps pier, and I see a lot more people are taking advantage of that.

Dread Pirate
10/05/2015, 01:21 AM
There was a pretty good size thread on this in this forum recently, maybe search that.
Here in San Diego we have access to Birch aquariums filtration system, and we can get all the filtered SW we could need at Scripps pier, and I see a lot more people are taking advantage of that.

Hey davocean,
I am getting back into the hobby and work in San Diego frequently. Can you give me a bit more info on how to get water from scrips pier?

Thanks for the help :dance:

wilkerschnepf
10/05/2015, 12:34 PM
Pretty easy, if you know where Scripps aquarium is. Drive to the pier just west of the aquarium, it is down the hill. The pier itself is gated but just to the left of the entrance there is a parking pad with a hose and valve. You will see some large white sand filters, hose is right in front of them. Sometimes there is a line of a few fellow Fishtank people, everyone is always friendly. You can pull up onto the parking once it's your turn, and fill right into your car if you want.

Dread Pirate
10/05/2015, 01:42 PM
wow. thanks that sounds great! How much does it cost. I am setting up a new 72gal with 35gal sump. And it is straight from the ocean water?

booyaa138
10/06/2015, 11:57 AM
check out the Kerckhoff Lab in Corona Del mar.
They have free filtered salt water. It's a lot closer then San Diego
Do a search on this forum for more info.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~mirsky/kml.htm

booyaa138
10/06/2015, 11:57 AM
Well I used to have nice green grass both front and backyard and a nice tank...and now I have...well just a nice tank and dead dry grass both front and backyard.

This is the same thing at my house. Nice tank and dead grass!

wilkerschnepf
10/06/2015, 01:27 PM
wow. thanks that sounds great! How much does it cost. I am setting up a new 72gal with 35gal sump. And it is straight from the ocean water?

Its free! I have a 150 gallon tank I load into my work van and go fill it up for myself and a couple other reefers close to me. Many times there is a worker from scripps or the UCSD oceanographic school checking on filters and valves etc. Always willing to chat and usually ask what kind of aquarium I have. I have been told the NSW passes through the large sand filters before we get it from the hose. That being said a member on our local forum just posted that he got a small shrimp in his last batch of water. I guess even if it passes through the sand filters there is a chance you can get critters. I have never noticed anything in the 5 years I have been getting water there. But honestly I don't usually look.

m0nkie
10/06/2015, 04:39 PM
I recycle the waste water from my RODI unit into huge trash barrels. Then I use those to water the flowers near my window.

my garden looks more brown from the 2 day watering.. I've cut water changes from weekly to bi-weekly..

water bill doubled..

davocean
10/06/2015, 11:32 PM

Just as wilkershnep described, and yes it's free all you want and a fast high volume hose too.
It's been filtered by Birch for their aquarium use and they just share it to hobbiests.
It's close to our needs, a bump in mag or alk may be preferred.

It used to be a toss up for many of us that were not close as in free clean SW vs. the cost of gas and going to get it, but lately more seem to be using it since it seems more practical or responsible these days.
For this reason I avoid prime beach hours on sunny weekends if I'm just filling up.
Usually a reefer or 2 not far away, easy to ask folks if you need help, most are pretty cool and not a bad way to meet local reefers.

Dread Pirate
10/07/2015, 02:11 AM
check out the Kerckhoff Lab in Corona Del mar.
They have free filtered salt water. It's a lot closer then San Diego
Do a search on this forum for more info.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~mirsky/kml.htm

I checked out the link and I know exactly where that is and its not to far from me!!. It doesnt mention the saltwater supply on the website. Do you have any tips or do i just show up empty jugs in hand haha

Dread Pirate
10/07/2015, 02:12 AM
And thanks again to everyone for all the info!!

Reefvet
10/08/2015, 08:08 PM
I recycle the waste water from my RODI unit into huge trash barrels. Then I use those to water the flowers near my window.

I collect all my RO/DI effluent and water my cactus and other succulents around the yard. Grass ? None of that left alive where I live.

moondoggy4
10/12/2015, 12:08 AM
I buy my FW from a local water store they have a real nice setup,almost state of the art .

inktomi
10/12/2015, 09:31 PM
I'd also like to know more about Kerckhoff Lab and how to go about using their water. That's not far from me either!

inktomi
10/12/2015, 09:33 PM
After some searching, it's M-F 8am to noon. Show up and ask seems to be the way to go about getting it.

sbwood007
10/23/2015, 08:41 PM
I get my water from Unicorn tears........ :)

jonwright
10/25/2015, 01:27 PM
Unicorn tears seem to be more prevalent than rain in Cali.

I didn't find that other thread mentioned, I'd like to read up on it. I sometimes wonder what we will do for water in general as now it's becoming a topic. Granted, personal use in the grand scheme of things has little bearing to commercial uses and farming...and I have mixed emotions about that anyway.

davocean
10/25/2015, 02:05 PM
Unicorn tears seem to be more prevalent than rain in Cali.

That's all about to change in a big bad way at least this year anyway going by predictions due to our biggest El Ninio pattern on record.
Most likely going to see a mess of flooding this winter.

This is that thread.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2493499&highlight=drought+in+california

FortyFour
11/10/2015, 11:14 PM
I use Scripps as well.