PDA

View Full Version : Rip bta

SALTYwaterDOG
10/04/2015, 06:19 AM
Woke this morning to find bits of a bta in a power head. It was on the move last night and climbing on the glass in the direction of a power head. Not sure how it fit in the power? Anyway I'm planning a large water change today, anything else need to be done? This bta was only about six or seven inches. There wasn't much of the body left in the power head, I'm assuming it was chopped up and blown out. :(

Dkuhlmann
10/04/2015, 06:43 AM
If you don't currently I would run carbon for a week or so it will help clear it out of the water

For the future if you get another anemone there are foam covers for ph for this very purpose.

How did it get sucked up in? Easy it's basically a pile of jelly and can get very small so the vacuum from the ph sucking water to blow it out pulled the nem in the back and sprayed bta confetti all over your tank. Good luck in the clean up

Sorry for the loss :(

LuciDog
10/04/2015, 08:57 AM
Make sure you do a BIG water change, and like already suggested, run carbon.

Wouldn't hurt to put gloves on if your sticking your hands in.

Cover your PH from now on too. Black women's stockings work too, and virtually invisible once you submerge. Just watch for buildup on them.

SALTYwaterDOG
10/04/2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the good advice, and tips. I really enjoyed the anemone so do want to replace it eventually. And will have to take the proper precautions. I often learn things the hard way. Again thanks for the help!!

Dkuhlmann
10/04/2015, 11:55 AM
LMAO don't we all :beer:

DrPheel
10/04/2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the good advice, and tips. I really enjoyed the anemone so do want to replace it eventually. And will have to take the proper precautions. I often learn things the hard way. Again thanks for the help!!

Give it a few months and that power head decapitation may bring you a few new BTA's :P I had the same thing happen to my in my first tank :( I figured that nem's were not for me and forgot about it and a year later when I took down the tank and moved it I had 3 little nem's hidden in the back of my rockwork ! IMO to really enjoy nems you need a dedicated tank for them :)

+1 on the massive water change and running some carbon to clear up toxins !

Dkuhlmann
10/04/2015, 12:10 PM
You know DrPheel has a point there, any piece of the main body that has mouth on it can form a new nem. (might be a bit more to it than that but what DrPheel says makes you wonder) People have split them in thirds and quarters to make new nems and it's worked. I'm not going to cut any of mine to play around with it... Unless they keep producing. I'm up to 4 now, just had a new arrival Friday morning.