PDA

View Full Version : Snail less algae control

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 02:01 PM
I've had it with snails. I can't keep them alive. I've done pretty much everything I and anyone else can think of to troubleshoot the problem. I think buying snails is actually making my GHA problem worse because they're dying and releasing nutrients. I've heard really good things about red legged hermit crabs controlling algae. I've got the original three hermit crabs I bought when I set up the tank over a year ago. Has anyone ever tried a hermit crab only CUC? Obviously I'd still have to scrape the glass, but that isn't tough.

My other thought was a lawnmower blenny, but I'm not sure one is enough to keep a whole tank clean.

My tank:
65 gal mixed reef
LPS/SPS/softies
Kole tang, damsel, clowns, dottyback

davocean
10/04/2015, 02:40 PM
The lawnmower most likely won't do anything for you that your kole isn't already doing.
While it's nice to have help keeping algae issues down, I don't rely solely on critters to do that for me, you need to find the source of your nutrient issues, and I would continue to try to find out why you can't keep snails alive, there's something up there.

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 05:22 PM
The lawnmower most likely won't do anything for you that your kole isn't already doing.
While it's nice to have help keeping algae issues down, I don't rely solely on critters to do that for me, you need to find the source of your nutrient issues, and I would continue to try to find out why you can't keep snails alive, there's something up there.

My kole doesn't eat GHA for some reason. I was hoping a lawnmower would.

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 06:57 PM
I really think the source of my nutrients is dying snails...

davocean
10/04/2015, 07:12 PM
I would test your water params and test for copper as far as snail issues go, but having to maintain or take measure to keep nutrients down is pretty common for most of us.

ColinAbi
10/04/2015, 07:39 PM
I've had it with snails. I can't keep them alive. I've done pretty much everything I and anyone else can think of to troubleshoot the problem. I think buying snails is actually making my GHA problem worse because they're dying and releasing nutrients. I've heard really good things about red legged hermit crabs controlling algae. I've got the original three hermit crabs I bought when I set up the tank over a year ago. Has anyone ever tried a hermit crab only CUC? Obviously I'd still have to scrape the glass, but that isn't tough.

My other thought was a lawnmower blenny, but I'm not sure one is enough to keep a whole tank clean.

My tank:
65 gal mixed reef
LPS/SPS/softies
Kole tang, damsel, clowns, dottyback

Could your original hermit crabs be killing the snails ?

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 09:32 PM
Could your original hermit crabs be killing the snails ?

Nope. Took them all out and put them in the sump and still lost snails.

ColinAbi
10/04/2015, 09:35 PM
Nope. Took them all out and put them in the sump and still lost snails.

Have you ever had an invert that died?

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 09:39 PM
I would test your water params and test for copper as far as snail issues go, but having to maintain or take measure to keep nutrients down is pretty common for most of us.

So that is true, nutrients are the problem. But I figure I need to nix the nutrients and also have something eat what is already there for it to go away.

I've tested for Salinity, Ammonium, Ammonia, Nitrate, Calcium, phosphate, Alkalinity, and at your suggestion, copper. Everything's normal. I have a Magnesium test kit in the mail. People suggested that could cause snail problems.

oakengineer
10/04/2015, 09:40 PM
Have you ever had an invert that died?

I also lost both of my emerald crabs. Haven't lost any coral, featherdusters, or hermit crabs.

ColinAbi
10/04/2015, 10:10 PM
Maybe get some poly-filter to test the water?

oakengineer
10/05/2015, 06:25 AM
Interesting. I hadn't heard of that.

GT350pwns
10/05/2015, 08:34 AM
If parameters are good, have you noticed any kind of clear snotty material around the dead snails?

If so, you could have a fulgida worm. I had one of the baatards. Not a fun time.

primetyme941
10/05/2015, 05:54 PM
My kole doesn't eat GHA for some reason. I was hoping a lawnmower would.

My lawnmower won't touch my GHA. He may help prevent it from popping up, but once it's there he won't go near it. I've had more luck with lettuce nudibranchs, or even fuzzy chitons for that.

oakengineer
10/06/2015, 07:40 PM
If parameters are good, have you noticed any kind of clear snotty material around the dead snails?

If so, you could have a fulgida worm. I had one of the baatards. Not a fun time.

Hmm... I don't recall seeing something like that.

nuxx
10/07/2015, 01:11 PM
I just order like 100 snails every 3 months and put them in QT with new coral.

Whichever ones make it go into the display.

Then between the crabs and triggers, I just keep the cycle going haha