PDA

View Full Version : Alk question

blcktitanium
10/04/2015, 07:04 PM
I was wondering if it is normal for Alk to drop from 8.01 dkh to 7.56 dkh within about 22 hours? The things I have in my tank is 115 pounds of Fiji dry rock, approximately 75 snails combo of cerith, trochus and turbo... and sand. My rock is growing green coralline algae on it. The tank is 3 months old.

bitwise
10/04/2015, 08:42 PM
Seems normal. Keep in mind hobby grade test kits have a margin of error.

Once you add corals and the tank starts to grow more coralline you may have to do something to keep your alk stable. It will start to plummet even more per day. I use sodium bicarbonate dissolved in ro water.

bertoni
10/04/2015, 10:27 PM
I agree that a drop like that is well within reason. My soft coral tanks would drop 2-3 dKH per day due to coralline algae growth.

SoloGarth
10/04/2015, 10:32 PM
That drop could easily be testing error. I would test again. What test are you using?

SoloGarth
10/04/2015, 10:33 PM
Do you have corals in the tank? There is always abiotic precipitation of cal/alk but it should be low at ~8dkh.

blcktitanium
10/04/2015, 10:51 PM
Ok great its nothing I should concern myself with then since it is normal and within reason. Thanks Bertoni and Bitwise

That drop could easily be testing error. I would test again. What test are you using?

I'm using a Hanna Checker and I double checked it against my seachem and salifet Alk test kits and they all registered the same.

Do you have corals in the tank? There is always abiotic precipitation of cal/alk but it should be low at ~8dkh.

No I do not have any corals in the tank at this time just snails and coralline algae growth.