PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions filling tank

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 02:50 PM
I have a 180g tank 50g sump and I wonder what will be the best choice for filling the tank. Mix all the water, do 100g mix and the rest sea water from pet store? any ideas or best choice to cycle the tank

I will run refigium,canister filter (fluval fx6) media reactors (pellets,gfo,carbon) and decent size skeemer,50lbs dry rock and 20lbs cured live rock

LuciDog
10/06/2015, 03:16 PM
Why the canister filter and so little rock?

I wouldn't use sea water. I'd mix all my own.

gone fishin
10/06/2015, 03:19 PM
I mixed mine and filled it. If I remember correctly it was about 2 weeks to fill with work and life thrown in. Lugging water from a LFS does not sound like a good time.

Cycle it like any other tank I personally prefer to add pure ammonia to get things started.

Curious as well, why so little rock?

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 03:22 PM
Why the canister filter and so little rock?

I wouldn't use sea water. I'd mix all my own.

The canister is for extra filtration and the little rock just to get the tank started
will be getting 200lbs in near future

e048
10/06/2015, 03:52 PM
My tank I filled it up with sand and base rock, added water then salt, checked all equipement, adjusted salinity as needed, after 2-3 days of good conditions I added some seed live rock, gradually adding more and more until i hit the 1-3lb per gallon rule

checked ammonia, nitrates, etc, etc every few days and also the day after adding LR

took about 2 months to get my first purchase in the tank but I havent had any problems since (knock on wood)

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 04:13 PM
Which salt is best or any will do ?

3 inch live sand bottom is ok?
and for the refigium use mud or live sand?

heathlindner25
10/06/2015, 04:16 PM
Which salt is best or any will do ?

what parameters would you like to keep in your tank? Cal,alk,mag
some people like higher alk, and some people like lower alk

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 04:29 PM
I trying to make a reef tank (in the ner futere) so I assume high cal,alk and mag

heathlindner25
10/06/2015, 04:36 PM
I trying to make a reef tank (in the ner futere) so I assume high cal,alk and mag

pick a reef salt you can afford,once you're in the hobby for a while you will probably get selective
I like tropic Marin bio-active
just for the record, my salt is low and alk...lol

Reef Frog
10/06/2015, 06:49 PM
I would not use mid except in the rarest of circumstances.

A three inch sandbed is pretty deep. Read up on the pros & cons of deep sand beds. Unless you are keeping specialized animals that NEED a deep sand bed, I'd do one between 1"'and 1.5".

Adding a large amount of live rock at a later date can initiate another cycle. I'd put it in all at once if possible. If you cycle the tank, ad some animals, then add lots more rock later, you risk killing things. With no animals in the tank,'there is no harm in adding the rock in stages, it will just take longer to get past the cycling stage.

LuciDog
10/06/2015, 07:42 PM
I use Kent reef salt. I have no complaints yet

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 11:15 PM
First 32 gal of salt mix in the oven (is mixing with a power head and heater), i had to reinforce the floor in the house before i could add water to the tank .

I will add rock but dry rock or peaces of live rock after i cure them for sure

azcrazy
10/06/2015, 11:53 PM
I want some sand cause wife likes the watchman goby and the spotted goby , both are sand fish .

Still not sure what im doing it yet (fish/invertebrates/corals) all i know is i have to do my cycle in the tank the sooner i start the sooner i can have life in there,lol

azcrazy
10/07/2015, 03:06 PM
Some one know a website where i can buy macro alegae fro my refigium?

e048
10/08/2015, 10:09 AM
Reefs2go has free shipping on algae

gone fishin
10/08/2015, 10:38 AM
I would look up reviews on Reefs2go before ordering anything. Just do a search on RC.

nuxx
10/09/2015, 10:16 AM
On our 150 gallon frag tank, we just filled the tank with RODI then dumped salt in the sump and mixed it that way :)

For over 200 gallons of system volume you really should just make your own water and not get anything from the store. Also you'll need to setup an auto-topoff system, filling up gallons of evaporated water each day will wear thin.

azcrazy
10/09/2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks fro the replys.

Another question my bulkheads are leaking, they brand new, what can I do to stop it from leaking.

I have acces to windshield sealant, would it work?

Shawn O
10/09/2015, 12:40 PM
They're probably not installed properly. Try reinstalling them before adding some other substance that could cause further problems.

azcrazy
10/09/2015, 02:25 PM
I did it how the instructions said, could it be that the new hose I installed is making pressure on it and make it leak?

If it is how can I fix that?

TylerVT26
10/09/2015, 03:02 PM
Make sure you don't over tighten them. That could potentially cause leaks.

azcrazy
10/09/2015, 03:37 PM
I tighten it with the little tool the provide wiht the overflow kit, i even try to tighten more but it wont do it.

Could that overtighten?

Im also gonna try to heat the hose so it fotens up little and it wont make presure on the baulkhead.

kmbyrnes
10/10/2015, 06:17 AM
Where is the bulkhead leaking?
Is the rubber gasket on the water side of the bulkhead?

The hose itself is not the issue. But the barb it clamps to may not be fully sealed or you may have over tightened the clamp.

azcrazy
10/10/2015, 01:05 PM
Got it fix, it seems the little tool they porvide with the over flow kit dont allow you to tighten as far as it neEd to be, I also cleaned the overflow which it was full of sand.

I used a pair of oil filter pliers to tighten the bulkhead.